MH Heading on Nevada incorret?

MAD-MM

I was flying the Single Player Intercept Mission, afterwards I try to perform VOR/RSBN approach to Groom Lake so just the follow happen...

Usual in General Aviation the Runways called out in Magnetic Heading in this Case see the Attached Picture Nevada Groom Lake had something around 335 Degree minus 13 Degree Magnetic Variation we get something like 320 Degrees as me the Map and Tower Show...

The NPP Correction Button as I understand correct the deviation from Magnetic Field around the Aircraft...

So as I Dial in 320 Magnetic Course for runway as it work fine in Caucasus, the MIG show me on the Runway in Nevada the true Geographic Course what is impossible because you can not dial in anywhere the Magnetic variation.....

So this not working as intended or I miss something?

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

The fast align button forces the heading gyro to fast converge to the compass input but "correct the deviation from the magnetic field around the aircraft" there is no such thing or rather it works differently.

Inside some MiG-21 model there is a dial "ZMS-2 magnetic declination setter" on the center pedestal behind the stick below the warning lights, above the air pressure gauge, and to the right of the cabin altimeter gauge. It is just like L-39 dial for the same purpose. It modifies the magnetic compass sensor value by an adjustable amount so the gyroscope system can align to a direction other than magnetic north.

In the DCS MiG-21 this setting won't be found in the cockpit. It is probably located in some avionics bay and set before flight (there are some switches and dials like this). If this dial is set to 0 then the system will align to the raw compass data. If the dial is to the local variation then it will align to true north. What almost certainly is happening is the programmers skipped this process entirely and coded the gyro to always align to true north and there is no dial.

So it is intentional that in all possible locations it is simulated that there is a dial for magnetic compensation set by ground crew that is always correct for the location. The result is the system always aligns true north in all locations.

About the NPP Button it's had something wrong in my Mind it's Gyro stabilized Systems that's aligned to the magnetic Heading...right..

But the overall RSBN System is integrated for Bad Weather approaches, as it work currently in DCS on all Approach Notes and Radio Calls are send out with magnetic Heading, and MIG is flying around with True North sounds not really fail safe for a supersonic Jet...

Probably it is same for Caucasus but there was when I Remember only around 3 Degrees that's why it work far better here..

But thanks for Explanation thumbup.gif

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27