Modified Odyssey to fit my fat head

Thick8

I knew the moment I put on the Odyssey that there would need to be some changes made. In fact I kept putting it back in the box each time I used it because it just wasn't comfortable and I was going to return it. A week into ownership and I was totally hooked on VR and knew I had to do something.

I first removed the foam pad and put felt in it's place. Too much light came in and the surface had sharpish edges. What I didn't expect was that the FOV and sweet spot would increase substantially, and I didn't have to wear my glasses under it like I did with the factory foam pad in place. This was frickin fantastic!

So I knew I needed foam yet had to have the unit closer to my eyes. So next I removed the rubber mask to see if there was anything I could do about modifying it. Not so much. It is what it is. I started at each side, in the middle of the curve, and lightly pried up on the plastic ring that holds the rubber piece to the headset. Then I just worked my way around until it all came up. you can see the attachment points in the picture.

after playing with the rubber ring some I came upon the idea of making the ring bigger without modifying the ring. So here we go.

I purchased a 6"x3' piece of Velcro for $8 on Amazon. I pressed it to the rubber ring, making sure the plastic ring was in place so that it held its shape.

Using a new Exacto blade I cut the Velcro following the inside of the rubber mask. It was pretty simple to use the ring as a guide without cutting the rubber.

Using a compass with a sparkly blue pen I traced the outside of the mask 3/4" out. Then cut along the line with a pair of scissors. At the top of the mask I followed the indentation in the center and after I cut it out I used a strait edge and narrowed the top to 1/2" from the mask to allow room for the forehead pad.

I purchased 3/4"x1/2" sticky backed closed cell foam weather-stripping from Lowes. It's basically memory foam material like those squishy ear plugs.

I stuck the foam to the Velcro ring following the outside shape. At the top I just ran it straight across and cut the foam with the Exacto blade, again to allow for room of the forehead pad. In addition to the face mask mod I also added a strip of the foam to the upper half of the forehead pad.

Put it all together and now I have an extremely comfortable Odyssey that fits my fat head perfectly with no light bleed.

Hope this helps.

John

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Nice work there! There were many Vive users who cut the foam as well. For all the same reasons. Maybe I should try that on the Rift.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

my odyssey is coming on tuesday!! right now i am looking at what is the best bluetooth aadapter to get for the odyssey

I had forgotten that I needed a Bluetooth adapter. So I went to Walmart and got a cheap Targus one. Works great. It does have to be a BT 4.0.

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground