Sensitivity / Dead Zone Issue: Force Feedback Stick Users

Hello all,

I have a problem to explain to you, and I would like to know if the following functionality is going to be implemented with the patch, or is currently doable by editing game files.

When using a FFB joystick the game is awesome. You move the stick out of center, pressing against the forces and get your chopper flying in the right path. To remove the control pressures you hit the trimmer. The force feedback then releases the pressure and any movement out of that it will try to return it to this position.

However, the problem arises is the joysticks get really twitchy outside of their physical center due to the dead zone (or even the sensitivity curve) staying at the physical center of the stick, even though your "new center" (where the FFB wants to keep the stick due to using of the trimmer button) is elsewhere.

Is it possible for the dead zone / sensitivity curve to ALSO reorient to this new location as well?

PS. I've also made a thread in game controllers but since this isn't a specific controller issue, I decided to post here as well... my apologies if this is in too many places. Game controllers doesn't seem to get much traffic though xD

Link:

Sensitivity Problem: Sidewinder Force Feedback 2

If anyone is confused or would like more explaination I can quickly draw up some diagrams to show using the in-game axis graphs.

Please help! Flying is a dream, however small inputs make me look like I'm doing :joystick: in real life xD

I know this doesn't seem particularly helpful, but are you sure you need the deadzone, or a sensitivity curve?

I have MSFFB2, and after a few days of frustration, I remapped everything to flat line, no deadzone, and have had no issues since. FFB is on 60%, and while I move the stick more gently than with a plane, I'd be doing that anyway to avoid blade collision.

Presuming that your stick is working correctly, try putting FFB up to 100% with no curve or DZ for a few days, and flying like that. I found that the snappy response led me to make smoother inputs, and develop a better feel for Ka-50.

Sorry, don't believe that there's an answer to your actual question, ATM.

I use an MSFFB2 as well & agree with the previous post - flatten the curve out, minimise the dead zone and be gentle....

That said - if for some reason you need deadzone, your idea would make it more useful...

Cheers.

yes, flatten the curve and maybe lower the Saturation Y. A large curve magnifies the trim response as the control gets further to the limits.

You need more deadband if: you repeated hit the trim button and the RCTL ENTER indicator shows movement even if the controls have not moved.

Example - your rudder pedals sit slightly left of center (even when centered). You repeatedy hit the trim and the rudder indicator will walk left. Adding deadband will stop the walking by ignoring the off-center pedals.

• 5 years later...

Bumping this thread from limbo after a search on google.

I have a Logitech G940 and I also have this issue, and aphelion79's idea would be great.

There are some very nice functions, like the trim-to-stick on the Su-27, the centering on helicopters, the buffeting on the p-51 when near a stall.

But I have two problems:

The 940's centering springs don't reach all the way to the center, so there's about a centimeter of slop around the center before reaching the spring. Without dead zones, this means that the plane will react to the slightest tic on the hand, and holding it perfectly steady all the time is quite tiring.

Also, the F-15's autopilot won't work if there's any force being applied to the stick, and any movement, even its own weight, will trigger a disengage, so the autopilot keeps turning on and off intermitently as much as i try to keep the stick centered.

Edited by Huesudo

• 3 weeks later...
Bumping this thread from limbo after a search on google.

I have a Logitech G940 and I also have this issue, and aphelion79's idea would be great.

There are some very nice functions, like the trim-to-stick on the Su-27, the centering on helicopters, the buffeting on the p-51 when near a stall.

But I have two problems:

The 940's centering springs don't reach all the way to the center, so there's about a centimeter of slop around the center before reaching the spring. Without dead zones, this means that the plane will react to the slightest tic on the hand, and holding it perfectly steady all the time is quite tiring.

Also, the F-15's autopilot won't work if there's any force being applied to the stick, and any movement, even its own weight, will trigger a disengage, so the autopilot keeps turning on and off intermitently as much as i try to keep the stick centered.

Be sure you have the latest (few years old) firmware flashed. It considerably reduces the sloppy center.

Although not too many people liked this but I do.

With just the right amount of force feedback you can fly hands off due to the autopilot authority. So this means flying with AP banks Heading, roll and pitch on.

And don't forget to tape of the deadmans sensor or you won't be doing any hands off flying :p

PS: you might be wondering why flashing firmware effects the centering springs... This is because the Logitech G940 does not have any centering springs :)

Edited by kingpinda