Campaign mission success

Hey all - bought the game a week ago and I'm loving it so far. I have a couple of questions about the "staged campaign" system - I apologize if these are common knowledge, I looked through both of the manuals and searched the forum but couldn't find a clear explanation.

In the "Deployment" campaign it's really clear what your objectives are and when you've completed them. However, I started playing around with the Georgian Oil War campaign, and it's not real clear to me how "success" is defined for these campaigns. In the first "stage" of the campaign, I was defending against an armor attack up a coastline. I fought off the attack and the Georgians stopped sending more units forward, but I didn't get any kind of message saying that the mission was complete. Do you have to kill every single enemy unit for the mission to be successful? If not, how do you know when you can RTB and exit the mission?

Secondly, how is the "mission success rate" calculated? I've flown 4 missions in the Oil War campaign and somehow ended up with a success rate of 58%, so it's obviously not just a "yes or no" success for each mission.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My rig: i7 3770K oc'd to 4.7 GHz | Asus Maximus 5 Extreme mobo | 4 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR3 | 2 x EVGA GTX 680 in SLI | Asus Xonar Phoebus audio card | OCZ Vertex 4 512 GB SSD

My peripherals: Dell U3011 30" at 2560x1600 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | TrackIR 5 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD 558 | Razer Black Widow | Razer Imperator

I had/have exactly the same problem. I guess that G.O.W is less realistic ( not to put the mission maker/s down - it's a great campaign ), and if you want 100%, yes, you have to kill everything on the battlefield ( you can check % with one of ; ' # I don't remember which), but you do not have to achieve 100% to progress through the campaign. If you get 50%, then RTB and quit the campaign will move to the next stage. SO I generally use my imagination and say well I've been briefed to destroy the armour, do that, and if I don't destroy a supply truck a mile away count that as a personal win.

That's probably a load of B**ls, so see what everyone else says :D

I had a similar question a couple of weeks back, GGT in reply 7 went some way to explaining.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=44850

Hope it helps - The Oil War ones seem to be set up a bit different to the Deployment campaign which is a little more scripted (IMHO better) and seem to try and ape dynamic based camaigns, but in effect just become a tad more repetetive. These more open outcome missions are probably more like real conflicts however.

Thanks - that makes sense. I guess I'm a little disappointed with the "dynamic" campaign so far, a lot of the time it seems like your role is confined to just take off, tool around for a bit, kill stuff until you get bored, and then end the mission. There's no flow to it, and the game doesn't give you enough feedback about when the fight's over and you can go back to base. The game is supposed to be as realistic as possible, is it really realistic that the chopper pilots can check out of a fight whenever they feel that they've done "enough"?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My rig: i7 3770K oc'd to 4.7 GHz | Asus Maximus 5 Extreme mobo | 4 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR3 | 2 x EVGA GTX 680 in SLI | Asus Xonar Phoebus audio card | OCZ Vertex 4 512 GB SSD

My peripherals: Dell U3011 30" at 2560x1600 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | TrackIR 5 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD 558 | Razer Black Widow | Razer Imperator

Quote from DSC BS GUI Manual:

When evaluating a mission for success, draw, or failure, the simulation uses point totals that are assigned by the mission builder. If total points at the end of a mission are 49 or less, the mission is a failure; if total points equal 50, the mission is a draw. If total points are 51 or higher, the mission is deemed a success. This point total is also used to define which stage and mission may be chosen next in a campaign.

“This point total is also used to define which stage and mission may be chosen next in a campaign.” What does it means? Is it possible that if you score 100 points you will be able to jump couple of missions or a stage up? Or is it like this:

- less then 50 points, you go one mission back,

- 50 points, you stay on the same mission,

- more than 50 points, you go to the next mission, or next stage if that was the last mission of a stage.

I’m asking because I’ve completed only “Deployment” campaign, and there it was clear – you finish a mission with success, you go to the next one. Therefore I’m not sure how it works in GOW.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]