Ping timeout ???

BOW4

I keep getting this when I join in multi-player... I get into the game for about two min get the jet spooled up then wham....and sometimes I get the yellow pause light blinking in the right hand corner....I hit pause break but I cant get in....

Any ideas what might be going on here in FC2.

I have high Speed internet and same thing happened....I have the fire wall exception on for FC2.... FC1 works fine though and all my other games....cant understand why this is happening...going to unistall and reinstall see if that helps....

I got timeouts (very few really) only in servers that are beta testing Servman mod (server management through chat console mod), so this is perhaps just part of any beta.

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Ah, so if this is servman related, perhaps the ping timeout limit needs to be raised?

I know if I ping a server from desktop I will see single timeouts every three or four of minutes.

I have had timeouts with BS servers in the past, but don't have any problems now.

Ah, so if this is servman related, perhaps the ping timeout limit needs to be raised?

I know if I ping a server from desktop I will see single timeouts every three or four of minutes.

I have had timeouts with BS servers in the past, but don't have any problems now.

ServerAdmins + Players will now see if a "ping timeout warning" is issued in the upcoming ServMan 2.1.4 alpha.

If such warning cannot be seen - then the problem should be client-based only, the ISP of the player (or a local WAN/router etc).

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Hi Panzertard,

I'd always assumed the server timeout would be a problem at my end, but since I can use BS servers...

Are you saying that if my FC2 player connection is dropped (and I get a warning) that the problem may be with the server / settings?

Refreshing the server list after getting dropped, I usually see other players showing as still connected.

Hi Panzertard,

I'd always assumed the server timeout would be a problem at my end, but since I can use BS servers...

Are you saying that if my FC2 player connection is dropped (and I get a warning) that the problem may be with the server / settings?

Refreshing the server list after getting dropped, I usually see other players showing as still connected.

Rather, if you get warned - then your ping latency is Higher what the server admin has set (fx. 500ms).

Then you *do* have too high latency. And it's fair to warn + kick you.

If however you don't get warned (on a ServMan server) - just loose connection - then it's likely a connection issue rather than "bad latency" which a High ping normally indicates.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

My ping hits around 43-120 and never had this happen on any other game. I use a cable modem for my high speed connection. cant be the distance because guys are on the same server from just as far. This just started happening, I dont get kicked off its a time out....but I get into the pit and it just dosent load fast enough....and seems to time out or something...I dont know.

The timeout comes from the server settings - many run something called Servman, developed for DCS and now FC2. It controls when a player is kicked for high latency. The figure can be edited, I believe.

I know I have a ping of around 65ms to the STP server, with occaisional jumps to 120 ish, but every few minutes I get a timeout of a second or so...

I can usually get into a server OK though.

I don't think the basic BS or FC2 server checks for ping (may be wrong here) but Servman is popular because of it's features (votekicking, TK banning etc).

Cheers!

BOW4 Did you resolve this problem? I'm having the same issue. My ping is fine 70-90 but i get 'Server Ping Timeout' far too much. Not just when i'm on Panzes server, others too! It seems the more people there are on the server the worse it gets. I can be on a bit longer if not many are in.

Bow, add a DMZ on your router for the local IP in use and see if you get the time out still?

This way we can at least isolate the problem to the router OR something else.

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

I was getting this problem as well...i have a Killer Xeno card on my pc and when it was in game mode ( go figure ), i would get the ping time out after a few mins ( this is on the 104th server which is running servman i believe ). I changed the mode to applications, and the problem stopped.

I used to have a Dlink "gaming router" and would constantly lag out. It's still the most laggy router I've ever used. Got rid of it and bought a vanilla Linksys - everything works.

Bow, also see what happens without your router (if DMZ doesn't change anything), routers do go bad ocassionally...

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

• 4 weeks later...

I have solved my 'Server Ping Timeout' problem. I believe it to be a NAT loopback problem with my router. I upgraded the firmware on my Netgear DG834Gv4 router to the latest version: V5.01.16 from the Netgear website.

No more server ping timeouts, and now i also get a lot more servers in the server list