FaNCy CBU trick (nerd stuff)

Phuz

So I've read through several CBU threads here and of course by now most people are aware that you can adjust the RPM of the CBU-87 and also the HOF on the CBU-87/97 and their gps-guided equivalent cbu-103/105. This is all well and good, and it is outlined in the flight manual for anyone not yet familiar with the practice.

However, one little item I had not been able to find any information on was the "FNC time" line displayed on the CBU-87/97 inv page. After a lot of self-testing I determined that changes to the FNC time were making zero difference when applied to a standard CBU-87/97 drop at any HOF/RPM setting.

Ah, but then I noted yet another fancy little button called FZU-39, yes/no.

The manual only briefly explains that the FZU-39 is a built in radar function that these CBU units employ to determine their altitude AGL. Well, I tried to switch it off and sure enough when you select FZU-39 "no" then the "HOF" selection dissapears! Well i'm sure many of you can now see where this is going..

So I loaded up an A-10 (offline) with 5 CBU-87 and 5 CBU-97 and took her for a spin at 25k ft. Switched all CBUs to FZU-39 "no" and FNC time to the lowest values possible. Released the bombs and presto! the CBUs all popped open less than 1 second after release, at 25,000 ft MSL!

Needless to say, IRL this would result in one heck of a spread! And in the sim it does too, but only a slightly larger spread than you see with a 3000ft agl burst. And of course, the effect on target is absolutely minimal. But, if you drop 10 of them all within 10ft spreads it makes for a pretty neat light show on the ground. And a bit of lag.

Nonetheless, I thought I would share this information with the community as the manual contains zero on FNC time and next to zero on the employment of the FZU-39 yes/no selector.

Also a word of caution: When utilizing these methods I highly recommend setting the FNC time to 1 or 2 notches greater than the minimal values. Some CBU bursts seem to result in bomblets travelling upwards which can result in the occasional engine fire or worse..

tl/dr; FZU-39: no FNC: 0.63/0.95

• Like 11

Was not aware of that function, thanks for that.

[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

As you discovered, the FZU-39 is the proximity fuse that enables the CBU to burst at the desired HOF. Without the FZU-39, you're left with a mechanical timer that determines the Function Time in seconds.

Be careful with this setting, as it's possible to frag yourself with an intact canister if the TOF is less than the Function Time, but greater than the Arming Delay.

• Like 1

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

-1 because you didn't tell us about this last patch :mad: 10 CBU-97s dropped like this last patch would have been equivalent to a B61!!

Just kidding, +2 :D

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Be careful when in MP and your wingman is in about 1/2 mile trail and 1000-1500 feet lower....

It was not a good thing....:pilotfly: between the bomblets and the collisions there was not much left :devil_2:

Edited by Heater

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System:

Windows 10 (64 bit)

64 GB Memory

CPU i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz

GTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition

HTC VIVE

I think your shares just went up a bit son.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

WIN 10, i7-2600K at 3.4ghz, 2x OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD RAID 0, Corsair Vengeance 16GB, Gainward GeForce GTX 590, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Track IR 5 PRO. DCS 1.5.3.52724.74 - DCS 2.0.2.52369

Hey Phuz,

Sorry to ask, but would you happen to have a screenshot of the MFD setting you're talking about? I took a look but couldn't quite understand what you were explaining exactly.

I'd really like to try out this... Custom "Carpet Bombing" :)

http://www.youtube.com/konotani

Computer Specs:

Z97X-gaming Mobo

4670k i5

24G DDR3

GTX 1080

Asus PG278Q Rog Swift 27-INCH G-SYNC

Valve Index

Thrustmaster Warthog

Fanatec Clubsport Pedals (used as Rudders)

Thrustmaster T300 Arcantera Wheel

Obutto R3volution rig

Hey Phuz,

Sorry to ask, but would you happen to have a screenshot of the MFD setting you're talking about? I took a look but couldn't quite understand what you were explaining exactly.

I'd really like to try out this... Custom "Carpet Bombing" :)

Here you go:

fzu39.jpg

Change the FZU39 setting to 'No' and then adjust the timer to your liking.

You get to this page from the inventory page of the DSMS.

• 1 year later...

bet it took alot of time watching the bomblets reach firma... thx though, will try.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Heh, amazing how one pops into threads like these..

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.