MK82 Snake-Eye project (w/pics!)

iVIPER21

I've been working on creating a MK82 Snake-Eye high drag 500 lb bomb with hopes of seeing it make its way into Lock-On. This is the LOD1 model and has about 1100 faces (I still need to add the support struts, so I figure it will be 1200 or less when complete). I also have to make the LOD2 and LOD3 models and then texture them (what you see are the use of default materials, not textures). Anyways, here's some renders :

snakeeye13lv.th.jpg snakeeye39yg.th.jpg snakeeye47eu.th.jpg

I don't know how much time I will be able to spend this week modeling it but it should be completed over the next couple of weeks - keep checking back! :icon_jook

iVIPER21sig2.jpg

looks amazing dude. :)

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

nice detail there viper. gr8 job m8. :)

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Thanks WK! I'm doing everything I can to keep the number of polygons down and level of quality/detail up. It looks like the model will be no more than 1300 polys at LOD1 - ED has set the limit at 2000 polys for weapons (posted on the main site).

iVIPER21sig2.jpg

Thanks Alfa. Well, the LOD1 3D model is finished - 1250 faces total, now on to the texturing process. I'm not so great at UVW mapping so this is gonna take some time. Then it's on to converting the LOD1 model to LOD2 and LOD3 while making sure the textures/UVW stuff stays put. Anyone know of how Lomac uses keyframes for animation? Like on the LGB's and Mk20, how the fins pop out - the same would need to be done for the MK82HD. Anyways, here's a couple good shots of the reworked suspension lugs.

snakeeye88fd.th.jpg snakeeye92fa.th.jpg

iVIPER21sig2.jpg

looks good dude... :D

Update! Got the UVW map and skin done. I need information about setting key frames for animation from ED but I don't speak Russian. Anyone have any information about this? :confused:

Email or PM Chizh. He should be able to get that information to you.

Update! Got the UVW map and skin done. I need information about setting key frames for animation from ED but I don't speak Russian. Anyone have any information about this? :confused:

You just should set right pivots positions for rotating parts, all animation will be done by ED-modellers.

...Тут фея взмахнула волшебной палочкой, и у танка отвалилась башня...

Just stopping by to say: Great Job, iVIPER21!

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

wicked job there dude. nice skin + model. Can;t wait to throw that on some tanks :D

shamandgg: Just stopping by to say: Great Job, iVIPER21!

thanks!

Witchking: wicked job there dude. nice skin + model. Can;t wait to throw that on some tanks :D

thanks! i talked to Chizh and he gave me the go-ahead to up the poly count in order to add more detail (mostly on the nose fuse area). I'll be sending him the completed model by Sunday (and posting some before/after renders of the changes here for everyone to see). From there, it will be reviewed by ED - hopefully they will like what they see. Just for fun, I think I will also make a couple of animation video clips of the bomb being dropped with the fins popping out etc and some massive explosions. Stay tuned! :icon_supe

iVIPER21sig2.jpg

Small update...

snakeeye128gd.th.jpg snakeeye133ka.th.jpg snakeeye145hy.th.jpg

Due to moving into a new house and starting a new job (and making a new signature ;) ), the changes seen above took a little longer than I first estimated. The polycount has been up'd to around 2200 - details were added to the bomb itself in order to help smooth it out. The suspension lugs and nose fuse area received a lot of added detail, too. BTW, the pics above are not the real textures that will be used. If I add more detail, then I have to redo the UVW map and redo the skin. I'm hoping for feedback from Chizh before I spend time on that.

iVIPER21sig2.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just wanted everyone to know that the project is still alive, here are some more shots. I decided to remake the model from scratch after finding some much more detailed photos of the snakeye. Progress has been kinda slow due to working 50+ hrs/week at my new job! Little by little it will eventually be completed :thumbup:

13ui3.th.jpg 28rb1.th.jpg 33nm.th.jpg 41ex1.th.jpg

edit: added suspension plugs-> 56wl1.th.jpg

iVIPER21sig2.jpg