How to practice missile evasion?

Ktulu2

After reading the FC3 manual, indept threads, more threads, video tutorials, etc. I now know that at high altitude you must go down to evade a mssile, that If you are locked, you can go to the opponent's 3 O'clock and down to notch etc. But the problem comes when I pratcice my missile evasion. I tried doing a 4v1 gunfight vs missiles (me with guns) and I pown AIs, but when I just try to evade missiles, I evade a bunch, then get hit. Sadly, AI training isnt that great against real player and AI missile evasion run often turns out in «wainting for dumb AI to shoot at me, evading 1st missile, going straigt at him, merged, evading a R-73 (I'm an F-15 guy), merged, evading another R73, than dogfight in wich I do not shoot and last until i'm tired...» Other times i'll be dead before the 1st hit because I had a jugment error. I don't want to practice going full defensive because : in 1v1 i'll just end up in a dead race were i'll either get shot or run out of fuel, and AIs just go back to their base...

SO, HOW DO YOU PRACTICE FOR MISSILE EVASION efficiently??

also, are you supposed to see the missile as some tactics rely on pulling High G's at the last moment, wich I only find possible with labels on?

I have never found any thread about this, so i hope this will be helpfull to others than me.

first - stay out of WEZs

and number two is "like unto it" - honor all threats

yes, easier said than done - but if you can defeat a missile on the rail, that's just as good (and a lot easier on everybody's nerves)

http://www.afsc.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-071016-121.pdf

scroll down to the piece by LTCOL mark kelly - "give me the guidance and i'll give you the tactics"

probably not the answer you're looking for but uh.. you'd be surprised the emphasis just this subject gets

(linking to that article just to illustrate my point of not accepting a merge - the article is about a different concept, agreed)

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You really can't "dodge" missiles .

28t9ded.jpg

You are not Neo. :D

Your best bet, is try and get a sense of how much energy a missile has left once it gets close to you.

For this, the most important thing to know is when (at what range to you) the enemy fired this missile, and what plane and missile you might be fighting .

Keep eye on radar screen , you must always know how far target is from you. Say you see range between you and him is 30 miles, now you have to assume he probably fired something already because in many cases that is Rmax.

No need to panic , Do 2 or 3 hard turns while keeping enemy locked and that first missile will not hit you if you keep enemy at an angle.

In fact, at that range you don't need to do any hard turns and flying an angle should be enough but better safe then sorry so add a couple of big G's

And if you get a warning from an active missile, while your enemy is still 25 miles out, you know that missile warning is not a real threat because missile goes active at around 10 miles from you, this means it has already travelled 20 miles or so, so it's basically just falling out of the sky already while it still has 10 miles to go to you .

20 miles, He fires another ,you have to assume this, even if you don't get a launch warning, (could be ET, could be aim 120 or R77 inTWS mode) .

Still a very long way to you, so no need for panic.

You must go evasive a little more agressively now though. Same thing applies.

A missile fired from 10 miles, you can no longer bleed while keeping your lock on him. I mean, i'm sure it's possible but it's a big gamble. At this range you fire at him, and turn around.

There's a lot more to it, and the distances i mention vary with altitude and speed , but long story short, don't count on "dodging" missiles, you can only wear them down through manouvring. (up to a point).

Because after a certain point ... well ....

Matrixgun.jpg

Edited by Maximus_Lazarus

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Multiplayer . Then watch every single engagnment back on tacview.

That's the only place you will get into decent fights against an enemy that is NOT only interested in getting in a dogfight as soon as possible.

I tried in single player as well, like you did.

But the stupid A.I will only fire 1 missile at maximum range. Then they fire a second short range missile from within visual range, and that's it.

I personally don't think going up against 4 A.I's in a furball mess is going to help you a whole lot in getting to know missiles.

So, basically just fly ... then watch back on tacview. At first the tacviews will look a lot different than in your head. As you keep flying and watching the tacviews , your head "tacview" and the real tacview will start to look more and more alike. It will take some time.

Edited by Maximus_Lazarus

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks, i'll do that :) and no, 4,5,6 AIs don't do much, they just fire at Rmax and wait to get shot down...

you need to tell them to attack as a group, then they start doing stuff.