How many GBU-10's to pop a bridges cherry?

SolUniverse

Im running through the Campaigns and this particular mission called "strike bridge" they give you 2 GBU-10s to start.. I hit the bridge in the middle with one GBU-10 and it didnt make a dent. I hit it with two GBU-10s on 2 passes and it blew up. I have in fact hit the bridge with one GBU-10 in single ripple about 100 ft apart. the bridge didnt blow up.. whats wrong here?

seems if you strike something with a bomb it has to be ??:?? later on.. as the sim doesnt register the ripple properly for extended damage.

wait. 10's? I usually pop one 12 in the middle deck (usually there is MANPADS close to it to enable locking).. Boom. mission accomplished.

Funny thing is, ANY one of the flights before you could take the bridge out. Which leads the question: Is A-10C a bona-fide bridge attacker?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Well in 1.2.9 it took 2 Gbu-10's and they are 2000 lbs and the GBU-12's are only 600

My guess is its a bug and something wrong w registering the actual bomb mass of the explosion in game. the second pass registered fine. but also a 2000 lb bomb should blow up the bridge with just one bomb.

The mission starts you with only two GBU-10's and two bridges to destroy...

that is weird. I usually CCIP 2 82's low drag and constantly nail it.

ED must have changed the susceptibility of bridges?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Are you running the latest update in DCS world or the standalone? I dont know what update it was that I noticed a change but I used to be able to drop a steel trussed bridge with one gbu-12. Now it takes at least 2 2,000lb class bombs.

1.2.9 DCS World

This was two bombs in single ripple 75ft apart.. If i drop one then circle around and drop another 1 will work too (both GBU-10) but not ripple

Edited by maestro72x

wait. 10's? I usually pop one 12 in the middle deck (usually there is MANPADS close to it to enable locking).. Boom. mission accomplished.

I would not use point mode to "track" a stationary target... I actually never tried it with a 12 but attacking a bridge with a 10 was successful for me

Realistically, you'd want to blow up the support with a low angle impact from the side instead of dropping something straight on top of the deck. Naturally a bridge is made to enable traveling over the deck so the thing it does best is counter forces pushing down on the deck. You'll want to cripple your target by aiming at its weakest spot, not its strongest.

From an engineering point of view (with only limited knowledge of weapon systems) this is where a JDAM would be ideal, if it were properly implemented with all its features as you'd be able to program the angle at which you want the bomb to hit the target.

Edited by JayPee

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

See if you can make a markpoint right at the foot of the supporting pillars. In real life that would be an ideal hit point for the average concrete support.

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory