Not replacing/changing my HMS, labels, and gun/weapon release button settings.

Reticuli

It would be nice not to have to mess with this stuff every time I update DCS. Or make these something I can correct quickly in the Options menu. Screwing around with LUA and config files is so 20 years ago. Thanks.

X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

http://library.avsim.net/register.php

X52 + Silicone Grease = JOY stick

It would be nice not to have to mess with this stuff every time I update DCS. Or make these something I can correct quickly in the Options menu. Screwing around with LUA and config files is so 20 years ago. Thanks.

Seems your wish was granted!

... at least for me. I have no problems whatsoever with my labels or any buttons.

btw, what is your issue with ... what? HMS?

I have not had my controls reset in so long that I don't remember the last time I changed them.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

When I update DCS with the updater, my labels (green and gray dots), HMS height (not centered), and my cannon/weapon release as single button all gets set to the default settings. After updating, I have to hunt around and fix that stuff. I'd like it to not be changed when updating or have those within the sim Options menu that I can quickly access. Not talking about control configuration like button assignments or joystick axes. If that was changing, I'd be furious. This is just mildly annoying.

X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

When I update DCS with the updater, my labels (green and gray dots), HMS height (not centered), and my cannon/weapon release as single button all gets set to the default settings. After updating, I have to hunt around and fix that stuff. I'd like it to not be changed when updating or have those within the sim Options menu that I can quickly access. Not talking about control configuration like button assignments or joystick axes. If that was changing, I'd be furious. This is just mildly annoying.

Wait ... you are talking about mods, you modify files in the DCS installation directory and wonder that your changes get overwritten by the autoupdater?

Don't you use JSGME for your mods??

edit:

And at least for your labels: don't modify the file in the DCS directory. Instead copy it to C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\Labels.lua and make your modifications there.

Wait ... you are talking about mods, you modify files in the DCS installation directory and wonder that your changes get overwritten by the autoupdater?

Don't you use JSGME for your mods??

edit:

And at least for your labels: don't modify the file in the DCS directory. Instead copy it to C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\Labels.lua and make your modifications there.

Those aren't much in the way of mods, but no, I don't use JSGME for any mods DCS.

Those aren't much in the way of mods, but no, I don't use JSGME for any mods DCS.

Well, then you know where the real problem lies ... ;o)

The autoupdater just sees a file in your installation directory and the content does not match to the new version of the file. If that is because you changed it or because it is just the old version - the autoupdater doesn't know and thus doesn't care ... and should not care. It's purpose is to get your installation up to date with the new version.

But if you use JSGME you have always a backup copy of your modfications and you can re-enable them with a single mouse click. It is not complicated to use and there are a few threads/postings that describe how to set it up.

edit:

I'll try that. Thanks.

Use JSGME, even if they are just minor changes to .lua files, then you can treat all of your changes as if they are one mod; this is what I do for labels, viewport exports, or any other changes I've made within the DCS World file structure. Then you can use JSGME to uninstall them, update DCS, and reinstall afterwards.

Edit: as Flagrum suggested (sniped, twice).

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

• 2 weeks later...

Even using JSGME though, if ED update the lua files we need to copy the updated files to the Mod folder and edit them as required again, otherwise when we enable the mod after updating it will overwrite the updated files with outdated ones, potentially breaking something. It would be much better if we could make all our tweaks in a separate file in Saved Games to avoid this hassle.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

stop changing lua files in your main DCS folder...instead what you do is copy what you want to change and its path to your C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\DCS file and change it there.....when DCS updates it will not change your saved game folder and you will keep all your custom Lua changes.....

go into C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\DCS...then make an empty folder called "Config"....then in that, make an empty folder called 'View"....in that, copy your Labels.lua.....make your custom changes to this file...not the one in your main DCS folder....DCS will use this file instead of the one in your main install anytime you start it up....

....no more problems for you.....DCS is one of the best games when it comes to custom settings....if you use the main DCS folder, every update will reset your changes......but if you use JSGME and your Saved Game folder...you will not have problems like this when updates come around...

Edited by Davis0079

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

Still doesn't help if ED update the lua though surely, as your outdated lua in saved games will be used instead of the updated file

? Hence why I suggest it would be better if we could use a separate file to put all our tweaks which is loaded last and uses any settings within instead of those contained in the original files. I've also tried what you've suggested in the past and found it only worked with specific files that DCS is programmed to look for, as I tried putting all my mods with JSGME in saved games and it didn't work for many of them.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen