The relevance of the MiG-31 and R-37s

Emu

So I did this little track and the results are pretty amazing. I set an F-15C and MiG-31 off at their maximum altitude and speed about 120km apart heading directly at each other. The results were pretty amazing, using just old SARH R-33s on the MiG-31 and AIM-120Cs on the F-15C. Pilot skill set to 'Excellent'.

A MiG-31BM with R-37s could be a real problem for non-stealth aircraft and maybe even lower altitude stealth aircraft if it ever gets an really good AESA radar and they don't have something like Meteor or T-3.

MiG-31 vs F-15C.trk

Can't watch the track, but keep in mind that missiles in DCS are WIP. The MiG-25 with R-24's is among the most deadly BVR aircraft in the game right now because those missiles have near zero drag for some reason (unless this changed recently). I haven't look at R-33 recently, but they may have similar behavior, while the AIM-120 is under performing.

In real life, I can see it being a decent threat. I remember the MiG-25 in Iraq that simply outran US fighters and missile. The 31 has a lot more endurance and better weapons, but has the R-33 (or 37) ever been used against fighters? I also wonder what effect ECM would have on the 31, something in the form of EF-18G's, etc.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

MiG-31BM doesn't and cannot use R-37.

Theoretically they are supposed to get R-37M's (better known as RVV-BD) but it hasn't happened yet.

What does use the R-37?

Can't watch the track, but keep in mind that missiles in DCS are WIP. The MiG-25 with R-24's is among the most deadly BVR aircraft in the game right now because those missiles have near zero drag for some reason (unless this changed recently). I haven't look at R-33 recently, but they may have similar behavior, while the AIM-120 is under performing.

In real life, I can see it being a decent threat. I remember the MiG-25 in Iraq that simply outran US fighters and missile. The 31 has a lot more endurance and better weapons, but has the R-33 (or 37) ever been used against fighters? I also wonder what effect ECM would have on the 31, something in the form of EF-18G's, etc.

I'll have to try the R-24. There didn't seem to be one. Did you mean R-40? I actually replaced the F-15C with an F-14A with AIM-54s and that proved more successful.

Edited by Emu

Obviously the R-33 have better range than the AIM-120B. But DCS AI is just plain and simple stupid and suicidal - so I would not draw any realistic conclusions whats so all from that track. And as Exorcet said, there are a lot of other technical factors DCS is totally missing, regarding air combat.

[sIGPIC]sigpic70266_4.gif[/sIGPIC]

Snooze-81st-vFS

What does use the R-37?

MiG-31M?

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Did you mean R-40?

Probably, I must have mixed them up. Have the MiG fly at 40,000 at 700+ knots and those missiles will practically fly forever, even if they're chasing something pulling g's.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Probably, I must have mixed them up. Have the MiG fly at 40,000 at 700+ knots and those missiles will practically fly forever, even if they're chasing something pulling g's.

I'll have to try that. Try an AIM-54 from an F-14 at full whack at 18,000m. Hits about 8,000kph a the end of the burn.

Can't watch the track, but keep in mind that missiles in DCS are WIP. The MiG-25 with R-24's is among the most deadly BVR aircraft in the game right now because those missiles have near zero drag for some reason (unless this changed recently).

I think you actually meant MiG-23s with R-24s, those things are ridiculously fast. Can't be modelled right surely???