What happenned to fuel tanks dropped over SE Asia

xaoslaad

People often underestimate the size of aircraft in general, and the size of hung stores in particular. What looks small slung under the wing of an aircraft at distance is rather large when you get up close - but for obvious reasons, most people rarely get to walk up to tactical jets.

Googling for some numbers results in an F-4 370 gal drop tank at over six meters. That's a sizeable canoe right there - and those aren't all that big, as far as drop tanks go.

Edit: Do you recognize a feature?

Cheers,

/Fred

Edited by effte

People often underestimate the size of aircraft in general, and the size of hung stores in particular. What looks small slung under the wing of an aircraft at distance is rather large when you get up close - but for obvious reasons, most people rarely get to walk up to tactical jets.

Googling for some numbers results in an F-4 370 gal drop tank at over six meters. That's a sizeable canoe right there - and those aren't all that big, as far as drop tanks go.

Edit: Do you recognize a feature?

Cheers,

/Fred

You are most certinaly right effte, I guess pictures give you a little bit of distortion too. But I´ve never seen droptanks in that enviroment either! Glad they came to some use anyway!

[sIGPIC]sigpic70266_4.gif[/sIGPIC]

Snooze-81st-vFS

Surely those have got to be from left over supplies rather than actual drops? They don't look nearly sturdy enough to survive a drop from flying heights and flying speeds with barely a ding....

Perhaps the lesson is that when you crash your car, send it to Vietnam, home of the magic panel beaters! ;)

Per Ardua Ad Aquarium :drink:

Specs: Intel i7-9700K, GTX 2080TI, 32GB DDR4, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2