MiG 21 vs modern fighters

lucien

It's pretty good at dogfighting. That pilot though didn't have much of a clue when it came to dogfighting - the MiG-21 pilot did far, far better. There was nothing special on display here - no ridiculously high AoA or high G maneuvers or anything like that.

Not to mention AB on while overshooting ... LOL! :D

In your video, he'd have easily had you but once more ... huge pilot error in the scissors on his part. :D

Ey! nice kill!

The f15's should not engage dogfight ... It is bad in this area. this is often fatal.

the Mig 21 was used against f15 in real, but it is shattered :D. We need F-100 for balance

I show you my favorite kill of all mine

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so after all this time, I've finally figured out how to shut off the damned missile tone... the launch override/bomb arming switch behind the stick... toggle it... just thought i'd get that out there...

and i've come to the same conclusion: R-13M1 is a better missile, R-60Ms allow for bigger mistakes cause you can carry more of them. so that's why recently my standard loadout is 4x R60M and 2x R13M1

No R-3r anymore? I still think the r3r is fantastic, and it's the only missile that works head on.

Edited by ff4life4

so after all this time, I've finally figured out how to shut off the damned missile tone... the launch override/bomb arming switch behind the stick... toggle it... just thought i'd get that out there...

Why would you touch that switch if you're not carrying bombs?

Edit:

From the manual:

Common procedure for all AA weapons: Assuming that you have enabled the weapons system using

switches on the right vertical panel, select AIR master mode (CU2), set missile selector in either IR

MISSILE or RADAR GUIDED MISSILE position (CU32), select AUTOMATIC mode using (CU15), and MSL

mode using (CU13). If you know the target dimensions in meters enter the value using knob (CU17).

Finally, check that TACTICAL RELEASE (CL73) is turned off.

I highlighted the relevant part in red ;)
Edited by Derbysieger

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

Why would you touch that switch if you're not carrying bombs?

Edit:

From the manual:

I highlighted the relevant part in red ;)

because it's also the launch override, so I can launch missiles whenever I want, not just when i have tone or the radar tells me I can.

also the reason I haven't been taking R-3Rs is the same reason I don't like aim-120s, I like a good fight.

I prefer to defeat an enemies plane than their missile...

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Could you explain the reasoning behind this? I guess you could try to launch and hope the seeker finds the target if it's roughly in the direction of the missile's seeker but to me it seems more like a waste of missiles.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

Could you explain the reasoning behind this? I guess you could try to launch and hope the seeker finds the target if it's roughly in the direction of the missile's seeker but to me it seems more like a waste of missiles.

ok take a look at the video where I save another mig-21, the first R-60M I launch, I don't wait till the missile is tracking him, I just pointed my nose Infront of him and his wretched flares, and launch...

also missiles have a longer range than the plane lets on, sometimes you can get kills before you get LA

and besides that, I'm all for removing artificial limitations, having something stopping you from launching whenever you want being one of them.

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A2G R-3Rs!

Also, just traded kills with an F-15? I used an R-3R and he used an AIM-120B... How does that happen?

And the view distance of aircraft in this game is pitiful. Let's play find the MiG-21. He's at about 0.7nm... I can easily see a yellow R-22 at 2 miles IRL.

f0f06aafe314f420ed718975a393b6bf.jpg

Edited by ttaylor0024
  • Like 1

Two kill sortie. Also, not a fan of the TS members. Frustrating to fly with these comms.

Yes, I like to fly with music.

nice kills, yeah, I don't like going on comms so much either, and I listen to audiobooks while I play, currently listening to... blue bloods, Fate's Forsaken, and Red Rising series of books... not all at the same time mind you...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yeah we were on 104th, and i really need to figure out how to get tacview working, all these people making tutorial videos, please make a tacview video the same style?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yeah we were on 104th, and i really need to figure out how to get tacview working, all these people making tutorial videos, please make a tacview video the same style?

It only works if the server you're playing on allows the ACMI recording. The 104th and S77th do not, and there are others that don't as well because they don't want people seeing the engagement zones of ground units. Otherwise, you just open tacview, tell it to record DCS, then you just search for the recorded tacview track when you're done flying.

After every sessions in multiplayer, there will be a track automatically saved in Replays in the main DCS menu. If the server does not support live recording with tacview, you have to watch the replay (track) and tacview will automatically record (you dont have to run tacview at all), as long as you've told it to record DCS as stated above me.

Note: The tracks may get corrupted, like when you taxi to take off and you did it as in the book, the track will show you going off in the grass and you'll be stuck there but you will still see your AB and the plane ''manuvering'' as if you were in the air, which u really was.

Only the first track you make online wont get corrupted, so if you decide to join another session by disconnecting, you should exit multiplayer and enter it again for a new first track that will be recorded propperly. Ive never had any issues getting clean tracks this way to use in tacview. But, you should also note that when you run the replay at higher speed, like x10, the track recorded by tacview may become a bit weird, like a missile doing a nice steady turn will do a 90* turn like an ''L'' in tacview. Best is to run at x1 or maybe max x3 speed.

Correct me if needed, but I never had any problems with tacview recording like this.

I found a way to replay the track without desync: turn off DCS 3d graphics while replaying.

Open graphics.cfg in config folder and change the line "render3D = true;" with "render3D = false;".

Now open DCS and replay the 104th MP track. You will get an excellent TacView file. While replaying you will only see F10 map view and have extremely high and constant FPS.

If you want to be extra sure and you have the time you can run the track at 1/2, 1/4 or 1/8 of the speed.

Then change render3D back to true.

Jorge / Tango -117-

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

All my youtube videos are recorded from tracks, I do have some fail from time to time...

but to get tacview working i need to modify some config files so it records a tacview file then import it into tacview, but i can never get to record that file, through a track or otherwise...

or is there a new version out recently??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Loadout: 2xR13M1 4xR60M 1x800L mixed rounds on the cannon.

sparky take off, drag my tail...from first contact to last kill:

I pick up 3 contacts on my radar, a pair and a single, I kill the single, and escape the pairs little trap.

I run into another, he decides he'd rather crash than be killed by me,

Then turn towards something my RWR picked up and see some missiles flying at me, so I duck behind a hill.

when I look over, I see the F-15 that launched those missile trying to come in close, and you can see what happens...

after that, someone gets a radar lock on me, with one R-60M left and almost no bullets, I say to myself "screw this" and RTB...

if you notice two R-60ms on my pylons near the end of the video, its a bug, only one is left.

just the last fight

Edited by Hadwell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, you know how I feel about noob-120 spamraams, read my SIG lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]