Screen Resolution Problems - New TV

Hi there, I just recently purchased a 32 inch HDTV on black friday, I didnt get the cheep one I wanted but hey I have one none the less right? My problem is that I cannot find a suitable screen res on this thing that looks decent. Also I do not atm have track ir which I plan to get later this year. Well the screen is huge coming from a 22 inch monitor and my question is has anyone else come across something similar and found the right fit? Thank you in advance.:pilotfly:

I'm not sure what you mean by suitable screen res. Anything other than 1920x1080 (what the TV is designed for) is going to look very bad.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I guess the first question is to ask, what model number and brand is the tv? That way we'll know if it's 720p or 1080p. Hope that it's not a 720p 32", as that is lousy resolution. 720p is common in 32" size. Just because you "didn't get a cheap one", the specs might still be cheap in the sense that it's native resolution might not be good. Either way, we'll know a lot more once we know brand and model.

Edited by BHawthorne

I admittedly assumed that nobody would buy a 720p TV for gaming, or anything else these days really.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hi. Well it is a White Westinghouse and it is 1080p. I should have said that I wear glasses for astigmatism so its a bit hard for me to see(I do see clear with glasses). I was hoping to get a smaller resolution but they seem even more blurry than 1920x1080. Thank you.

I will get the model number in the morning, thanks guys.

Edited by CmdrMoros

Once we know the model number we'll know a lot more about the specification of the tv. That'll help us diagnose things like if there is any signal processing settings on the tv messing with the picture and definitively know what the native resolution is. Also be able to see if overscan is a problem for your setup.

A Google search of Westinghouse and 32" brings up a pretty equal amount of both 720p and 1080p, so I'd really like to isolate out that as not the issue via the model number. I'm rather weary when marketing talks about tv resolution, because less scrupulous sellers will mention non-native scaler resolution instead of native resolution to scam buyers. I see it done all the time with tvs and projectors.

Edited by BHawthorne

Morning BHawthorne. Well the model is: DWM32H1G1

You know this issue that I am having could very well be that I do wear glasses and I jumped from a 22 to a 32 inch size, but yes sir if there is something else I can change to make it a bit clearer that would be great. Thanks again

----

Something else, somone told me the tv displays are not as good as actual monitors that I should place it somewhere else for actual TV and get am actual monitor. Thoughts on this as well? Thanks.

Edited by CmdrMoros

Looking at the specifications for the DWM32H1G1, unfortunately it's a 720p display with a native resolution of only 1366x720. The problem is in fact that your tv is only 720p. When you set 1080p on it, it means the scaler is downscaling the 1080p signal to the 720p native display resolution. That is why it looks bad.

If someone sold it to you specifically as a 1080p native tv, you were lied to.

When someone says that a tv is bad for a display they might do good to explain why. Since they did not I will explain it -- a lot of the reasoning is no longer applicable to currently produced tvs though.

#1: TVs often have a signal processing chip in them to counter noise and MPEG artifacting of TV signals. It induces latency in the display. More often than not this can be turned off in modern tvs via the tv settings.

#2: Pixel switching on TV panels can be slow in some TVs. You don't want something slower than 6ms on pixel switching or it induces ghosting and smearing on fast action content. This is also something no longer much of an issue in modern tvs.

#3: First generation UHD TVs were limited to 30hz maximum via the bandwidth limitation of HDMI 1.4a. Most second generation 4k UHD TVs are now HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort enabled though and have port bandwidth capability to push 3840x2160 @ 60hz.

The only reason why I wouldn't use a TV as a display is that I wouldn't like the pixel size of a 42" 1080p TV on a desk in front of me. A UHD TV 2160p might not be bad though provided you address things like I mentioned above.

Edited by BHawthorne

Large screen + not many pixels (low resolution) = crappy picture quality.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440