F-86 Questions

Pineapple Pete

Yep, It's still in beta. No it doesn't have training/tutorial missions. It has 6 single and 5 quick missions though. No campaigns at the moment either.

Still, fun crate to fly and with youtube tutorials and real life manual (there is no full manual for module yet, only quickstart doc) you can easily learn the basics.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Hi, that's my first comment.

I suggest NOT to buy it until it's finished.

I bought it and I regret it.

There's no training missions, no tutorial, no manual; basically nothing to do apart navigation, unless you like the frustrating feeling of dogfighting mig15s which defy the laws of gravity and physic.

Learning curve it's horrible IMO.

I mean that you learn quickly to takeoff, navigate, land and shoot down a slow An30 in a foggy mission but then you have to be really skilled to shoot down enemy fighters or complete the few missions that come with the module; and there's not a way (at least I didnt find it) to do something that would get you to that point step by step.

So you quickly get to a point where you have 2 choises:

1) Boring navigation or even more boring shooting down of a An30;

2) Frustrating pointless dogfight/missions.

Nothing in between! That's the problem.

So if you have someone to fly with online then maybe it would be different but if you plan to play offline then you better put your money into something else.

I'll counterpoint what Danmon says. Valid points, all of them, and he's not wrong.

However, I love flying the F-86. For pure joy of just flying something, if you're into that, the F-86 can't be beaten. It's a hot rod. Turns on a dime, totally responsive.

It has its issues and there is a definite lack of content for such a wonderful simulation. There is no manual, no step-by-step tutorial, and no campaign (only a few one-off missions.) This is unfortunate, but, until Belsimtek comes around to touching up the F-86, there are things you can do.

For a manual, check out the following:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=137574

That guide will get you started up, flying, and fighting in no time. The tactics, though, are up to you, as always. For that, I recommend "No Guts, No Glory" for some evening reading.

Now, there is still the matter of content, or lack thereof, to use your new F-86 with. Why not use this opportunity to learn the Mission Editor, if you haven't yet? Get creative. And, hey, if you have some good ideas, maybe develop a campaign? ED is looking for developers for these and the F-86 is a prime candidate...there's definitely a market for a good Saber campaign. Strike while the iron's hot and maybe beat Belsimtek to the punch.

You'll still have to deal with the intrusive smoke in your nose when your fire your 50 cal's. You can either deal with it, wait until EDGE comes out to maybe remedy the effect, or modify your game.

I bought the F-86 and have been very happy with hit. It's been sitting in the hangar a lot more than the A-10 and P-51, but joyriding in the Saber is an absolutely fun time. And, hey, with a simulation like this, I can only expect some cool stuff to come out for it in the future. Use the time to polish your Saber skill basics!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

Hi Zabusa.

After your comment I searched the forum for links to real life manuals and I found it.

Do you guys have any suggestion for good learning material for dogfight?

I have no problem shooting down AI's in gun vs gun fight with f15 and su27 (the other 2 modules I have) but I can't do the same with f86.

I know the very basics. I can deny the AI to get into firing position but I have hard time putting myself at their six.

Unlike f15/su27 I dont have the energy I need one push of the throttle away... I think I need a better and deeper comprehension of the dogfight.

You could also go for No Guts No Glory, by Frederick "Boots" Blesse, a Korean War ace, written in 1955 from his experience flying F-86s in the war;) A nice historical approach if you fly the Sabre!

That being said, Shaw is a great recommendation!

EDIT: lol, nevermind, I hadn't seen that Zilch gave you a link to No Guts No Glory already!

Edited by Robin_Hood

To be honest I read No Guts No Glory, but it didn't help much.

For the most part it focuses on formation tactics, but I usually fly offline vs AI so i'm basically always alone.

It also covers defensive basic maneuvers, but as I said before, I already know the basic defensive maneuvers, in fact there no way the AI can shoot at me, but I have a hard time putting myself into position to shoot at them.

That's why I went for the Shaw's book. It seems a much more complete text on the whole aerial fighting.

but if you plan to play offline then you better put your money into something else.

Why? This world of ours wasn't built in a day. Make yourself missions and voilá, you've got missions.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Multiplayer fun is right on the corner.
Great news! Will definitely participate, even if I stink as a fighter pilot. But I'll be there regardless, providing more cannon fodder for you experts if nothing else ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah, are you planning to add any groundpounding slots, BTW? I've always been more of a mudmover than a fighter jock.

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.