What does Kneeboard current position mark point do?

I'm still a DCS World noob working to get up to speed with these fantastic products and one thing I haven't been able to figure is what the Kneeboard current position mark point command does. Can anybody help?

Thanks.

Windows 10 64bit / Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.30 GHz / 32GB RAM / GeForce GTX 1080 8GB / Dell UltraSharp 27 QHD U2715H 2560x1440 / Saitek X52 Pro Flight System / TrackIR 5

• ED Team

when pressed it will mark the kneeboard with a chevron showing your aircraft's current position and direction.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

You will actually need to use the kneeboard and kneeboard mark commands to navigate in aircraft that don't have an on-board navigation systems, ie all of the aircraft up to the Mig-21. I never used it until I started flying the Fishbed but it's pretty east to get the hang of.

You don't actually "need" it since you can navigate visually or by radio navaids, particularly in the MiG-21 which has radio beacons of most airports available. Having a mark magically appear on the map with infallible GPS precision is pretty much a cheat.

The Kneeboard current position mark point command does indeed work for me, but I still rely upon the Theater Map to see where I am, though I find it a little awkward to use, especially while flying, and the NATO aircraft symbol unfortunately doesn't display the orientation (NSEW) of your aircraft.

I come to DCS World with much general aviation sim experience via Microsoft Flight Simulator, and Now X-Plane 10. In these largely GA sims navigation is everything, especially via radio beacons (VORs, DMEs, NDBs, though TACANs are not modeled in either).

On the other hand, navigation in DCS World is a harder nut to crack, for me at least. As I'm still just a newbie on the learning curve, it appears that in some cases, e.g., the F-86 Sabre, navigation and ATC frequencies must be pre-programmed via the Mission Editor, while in other modules, e.g., the P-51D Mustang, radio navigation isn't modeled at all.

I'm presuming this lack of navigation fidelity in DCS World is due to it being largely a military flight sim with a focus on planes as they relate to combat and less so navigation, while sims like X-Plane are primarily concerned with modeling general aviation and less so military applications.

Also, when it comes to DCS World, I'm more interested (at this time at least) in the vintage aircraft, as I've already spent a lot of years flying Gilman Louie's F-16 and MiG-29 in the Falcon series from the 90s.

Edited by Diplocaulus

Windows 10 64bit / Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.30 GHz / 32GB RAM / GeForce GTX 1080 8GB / Dell UltraSharp 27 QHD U2715H 2560x1440 / Saitek X52 Pro Flight System / TrackIR 5