DCS is supposed to be cpu intensive however there is something I don't understand.

hideki2

So as I stated in the title. I have a i7 2600k witch is an 4 core cpu. I monitored behavior of each core while playing DCS and non of the cores ever excide about 60% of utilization. However overclocking CPU from 4.2Ghz which is what i usually run to 4.5Ghz gives a significant boost in fps. How come? Since according to core utilization non of the cores were even close to being maxed out on 4.0 Ghz.

Could any one elaborate on that topic?

Thanks

Hideki2

Try turning the detail level up and then fly the Huey close to the ground and check that again.. I am betting your CPU utilization will be much higher then.

Currently, your CPU is able to handle the load at 60%.. This is a good thing... Try turning the details up slowly and see the difference it makes and then pick a setting that gets good fps / cpu utilization / detail...

Remember that ground clutter and water will tax your system greatly, so try flying near a city and close to the ground.. I am betting your utilization will go up substantially..

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

In an effort to try what you just said I sat in my Huey parked on Kabuleti apron south, started her up and noticed something interesting: looking forward I have around 110FPS heaviest loaded core is at around 40%. However looking back in the cockpit it dipped down to around 70fps no change in CPU load. Quickly upped the GPU clock in MSI afterburner and fps lifted up a notch. So its the GPU and not CPU that's being maxed out in this instance. I'm interested in that matter because on Elbrus rescue when I look back in the cockpit I dipp down to about 30FPS for some reason with a GTX 970.

Ps. Could you explain that to me? Note low fps while low GPU and CPU utilization

Untitled.png

Edited by hideki2

Hideki Nice System.

You did make sure with each frps measurement U placed the Sim in the exact same situation as the prior measurements? I would guess so, U don't seem to be a novice at this.

Don't get to caught up in the numbers, as long as it is playable just enjoy the ride.

Why is your Ram at 1333? Stability thing? Not that it would make much difference in the Sim, just wondering.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Yes, I always try to replicate this same situation. I know, with DCS its like chasing unicorns. But I was just curious.

I was on a budget when I was buying RAM back in the day, its actually quite old. I used to have 8Gb but one module went bad. (Luckily I found recently that Corsair has lifetime warranty on ram) Except for SSD and GPU the rig is quite old, but I love my CPU. There fore I'm replacing my dying motherboard instead of building new system.

That has to be supper annoying to have crossfire setup and likeing DCS at this same time. I used to have 6990 but it drove me mad in DCS because of build in crossfire.

A little off topic :)