Movement of TM Warthog stick

I bought a S/H TM Warthog. A beast, compared to what I had.

One question: if I want to twist the stick, just like a stick with rudder axis (which it don't have, I know), I am able to twist it a LITTLE bit. Lets say about less than half a cm left/right.

Is this normal? In other words, can you "twist" your WH? Or is it rock and rock solid?

There are two points at which the stick can be twisted:

- Where the stick is connected to the base, the thread may have a little play

- The joint is essentially a plastic cup on a ball. To prevent twisting, there is a guide which is a plastic half-ball with a slit in it. The counterpart to this has a small block that glides in this slit. Both pieces are plastic, so there is a little bit of play. This means that the stick can be slightly twisted. Both parts may also wear out, increasing the play.

So in short: Yes, on most WHs you can twist the stick a little bit.

Callsign "Lion"

It's normal. Brand new one arrived today, and it's exactly as you described.

I'd forgotten how great the HOTAS feels, sold my last one and went back to my X-52 for a while when I stopped flying. Already want an extension though!

476th vFG Alumni

The WARTHOG Stick does NOT have a twist rudder so STOP TWISTING THE STICK unless you want a broken stick. :) With that said there is a small amount of play in the stick as stated in the previous posts but it is unintentional. The second thing I would say is you definitely want a stick extension for this stick. It doesn't even have to be very long.

Just about 8 to 10 inches is enough but it gives the stick a completely different feel and you get much finer control so it is definitely worth it.

The WARTHOG Stick does NOT have a twist rudder so STOP TWISTING THE STICK unless you want a broken stick. :) With that said there is a small amount of play in the stick as stated in the previous posts but it is unintentional. The second thing I would say is you definitely want a stick extension for this stick. It doesn't even have to be very long.

Just about 8 to 10 inches is enough but it gives the stick a completely different feel and you get much finer control so it is definitely worth it.

Yes OP already mentioned he was aware of this. He just wanted to know if the small bit of play was common or a fault. It's not a fault, but it isn't a design feature.

Definitely going to be getting an extension, the centring detent on the Warthog stick is very harsh.

476th vFG Alumni

Ouch.. looks BAD...

About the extention: I read it everywhere; must be a great addition. However, I have the stick on my desk and have to move it to the side everytime I'm finished... I don't think missus GurbY would appreciate any more cluttering around... ;-)