Standard rate turns in DCS World...

Anatoli-Kagari9

Pretty much every sim I have used / tested, with just a couple of exceptions, ELITE being the most remarkable one, fail miserably at reproducing standard rate turns, even when we perform them by the book...

There are no visible marks for std rate turns on the DCS ww2 birds, but for instance in the UH-1H has it in it's turn coordinator and it is supposed to last 4', but it will take a lot less than 4' to complete...

I believe the same goes for the A10C when I tested it ( no longer have that module... ). I see the C-101 also has a turn coordinator marking 4' rate turns.

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

....i don't understand. Is this a question or a bug?

It's kind of both....

A question regarding other aircraft modules that have a turn coordinator with std rate turn marks. For instance the C101 has marks for 4' rate turn in it's turn coordinator, and I guess the L-39 and the Hawk probably have them too.

I wonder if completing a full 360º turn takes the supposed amount of time on those modules ?

Regarding the UH-1H, it's a bug, because if I align, in coordination, with any of the marks, I do not get anywhere near 90º per min = 4' std turn ( 2' for most GA aircraft )...

Standard rate turns in DCS World...

3 deg / sec (2 min / circle) is the standard rate turn including what is expected by air traffic control and on instrument procedures (TERPS specification). I will test this on the A-10C next time I fire it up. It seems right though. The indication is on the bottom of the artificial horizon.

3 deg / sec (2 min / circle) is the standard rate turn including what is expected by air traffic control and on instrument procedures (TERPS specification). I will test this on the A-10C next time I fire it up. It seems right though. The indication is on the bottom of the artificial horizon.

Most medium / heavy helicopters, almost all tubeliners and the jet fighters / trainers usually have 4' std rate turns instead of the usual 2' for most GA aircraft.

Gliders are usually 1' rate...

The UH-1H has marks for a 4' turn ( 90º per minute ), and so does the C101, as per the Manual. I guess both the Hawk and the L-39 are probably also 4' ( ? )

Looking forward to the results of your test. Thx!

Edited by jcomm

A Rate 1 turn takes 2 minutes for a full 360 degree turn. So far as I am aware all the turn indications on a turn meter relate to this, so that the first graduation is Rate 1, the second Rate 2 etc. I cannot speak for helicopters but all the aircraft I have flown, from Chipmunks to C130s and Hunters, have the same calibration

That said the standard turn indicator will over-read under g, and is calibrated for level balanced turns, albeit only approximately.

A Rate 1 turn takes 2 minutes for a full 360 degree turn. So far as I am aware all the turn indications on a turn meter relate to this, so that the first graduation is Rate 1, the second Rate 2 etc. I cannot speak for helicopters but all the aircraft I have flown, from Chipmunks to C130s and Hunters, have the same calibration

That said the standard turn indicator will over-read under g, and is calibrated for level balanced turns, albeit only approximately.

Of course a Rate 1 turn, usually known as Standard Rate Turn, takes 2 minutes to complete the full 360º.

The turn coordinator will give you good indication even if your not turning coordinated ( slipping for instance ).

I guess the C130 has 4' marks, not 2', but I'll check...

I would be shocked if the C-130 has special ADI. Plus it's airspeed envelope and that of the A-10 are very similar, and similar to GA turboprops.

I really don't know about either ( C130 or A10 ), and browsing the net didn't bring anything, but for instance the C101 ( by AVIOJET ) in DCS has a 4' rate turn indicator... I wonder if any one has completed a full, level, turn to check how much it takes...

Edited by jcomm

So u want ww2 fighters to do a full circle at sustained turn within 2min? I don't understand what is going on. Could u explain more?

Solty,

I begin to consider I didn't really make my point! I'm not complaining about anything regarding the accuracy of standard rate turns in the ww2 models, because we can't even hav a gauge to "measure" it... but rather pointing out that at least the UH-1H which has a turn coordinator with marks for 4' turns completes those turns in a lot less than 4' even if flown at a fixed altitude and coordinated, and wondering how it is with, for instance, the C101 that I do not own and also includes a turn coordinator for 4' turns ...

Oh so in modern planes there is an ability to keep your turn to have a certain radius and time of completion? What is it useful for? Landing patterns?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA