Flying for beginners.

bunraku

Hi

Not a beginner, but have just upgraded from a Saitek X-52 Pro all plastic with Rudder Twist, to a Metal Warthog Hotas with Saitek Rudder Pedals.

One thing I do notice straight away between the 2 sticks is the strength required to move and more importantly hold the stick in position. That's goona take some time. :)

However the reason for posting is I really want to know more about when to use the rudder as opposed to roll for steering. With my X-52 I mostly only used the rudder when taking off and that was pretty much it. After that I used roll for steering. People are probably shuddering reading that, buti don't know any different. So when should you apply rudder when flying as opposed to banking to steer?

Just taking off and maybe landing?

Steering?

In combat? I'm mainly talking A-10C gun control here.

Thanks

In flight, the rudder is mostly for coordination. Aircraft like the A-10 coordinate turns automatically though. For the A-10, takeoff/landing and aiming the gun are probably would you would use it for mostly.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

At high AoA (not low speed) rudder will generally have more roll authority than ailerons. In fact you might not want to touch ailerons since moving them could cause a wing to stall in extreme enough situations.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

A great book to read is "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche.

It gives you a good idea of how all the controls in an aircraft interact and is presented in a relatively easy way to understand. Highly recommended.

Cheers, Scream.

an oldie, but a classic. a good read. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control