TDC Slew Rate Adjustment? How?

Fakum

My current Thrustmaster Cougar controls the target designator by emulating the keyboard commands set by default in the sim. I find it a bit too sensitive and rapid. I would like to attempt to slow the slew rate down. I have NOT been able to assign an axis to it in DCS Control options axis with the thumb microstick. Is there a .lua file that can be edited? Thanks.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

My current Thrustmaster Cougar controls the target designator by emulating the keyboard commands set by default in the sim. I find it a bit too sensitive and rapid. I would like to attempt to slow the slew rate down. I have NOT been able to assign an axis to it in DCS Control options axis with the thumb microstick. Is there a .lua file that can be edited? Thanks.

I've never used the TM Cougar. How ever if the microstick is reconised as a joystick in windows then you can assign an axis to TDC in DCS. It's how I have it done on my TM warthog throttle.

I had my TM joystick trim hat at one time set for the tdc which would essentially just be like pressing the keyboard [not on an axis] and it was extremely docile when moving the tdc curser. come to think of it, it was TOOO slow and why I moved it to my throttle so I could set it to an axis.

Best of luck not sure what to tell you tbt

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.

The microstick is not being recognized as an axis in DCS, may be due to the fact that I am using Thrustmaster Foxy software to program all of my keybindings? I don't know,,,,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I have the TM Warthog and have the TDC assigned to the micro stick. I program it via DCS axis binding, then I set the curve to be a bit more flat via saturation settings (I think it's saturation - not in the program right now - top right slider setting in Axis Tune in DCS.). It's waaay too sensitive otherwise.

PS: I do not use the TM software. I set keybindings via the software always (BMS4.33, DCS all versions, Rise of Flight)...less complicated and no conflicts.

Good luck,

DrDetroit

Edited by DrDetroit

I can see why you would want to set all the keybindings within DCS, but as I recall (correct me if I'm wrong) you are limited in such a way that you can not use any keys on your HOTAS as a toggle or holding for a certain length allows for a different function. As an example, the S1 button on my stick serves as a toggle in that each depression cycles thru available weapons, however, If I HOLD that same key for more than say half a second, instead of it cycling thru weapons, it puts me in cannon mode instead.

Since I use that software, that may be the reason why DCS will not see my microstick as an axis?

I can see why you would want to set all the keybindings within DCS, but as I recall (correct me if I'm wrong) you are limited in such a way that you can not use any keys on your HOTAS as a toggle or holding for a certain length allows for a different function. As an example, the S1 button on my stick serves as a toggle in that each depression cycles thru available weapons, however, If I HOLD that same key for more than say half a second, instead of it cycling thru weapons, it puts me in cannon mode instead.

Since I use that software, that may be the reason why DCS will not see my microstick as an axis?

This is correct, if you bind the throttles through dcs and have no software you cannot do multiple things. [how ever with the TM warthog it is plug and play for the a10c like that and only the a10c]

as Detroit said, I too also bound my microstick with an axis in DCS and also do not use external software.

if you use the software I think it essentialy blinds windows/dcs to what is on the stick and is why you can't bind an axis.. Maybe go and see if you can "remove" the microstick from the software so windows will pick it up as another joystick then you can bind an axis to it in dcs settings

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.

I've never found a need for the TM software at all in any of my sims. Really don't understand the need for the complexity either. Not to say there isn't one, I just haven't found the need for it in any sims I fly (BMS, ROS and DCS).

I tried to set it up when I first got my TM almost a year ago, but geez...frustrating to say the least and caused conflicts with some sim keybindings set in-game that I could not fix (like micro stick not being recognized). So uninstalled and never looked back.

To each his own, but I think it's a lot of work to setup that software than it's worth.

Good day,

DrDetroit

Yeah, I probably created my own monster, I have been so acclimated with my HOTAS over many years of just flying the A-10C alone that I have gotten so used to the key functions as they are. You would think there are enough buttons and axis that there should be no need for more,, well,, when you think about it, each button can only have 2 functions with the use of the shift button, ya run out of buttons pretty quick!Its so nice to use each button for 3 purposes, and as far as I know, you can only do that with Foxy? I had a real hard time trying to get the hold for duration feature implemented with TARGET software, never got it to work. Oh well... it was worth asking. Thanks,

Well I use the cockpit for all my avionics needs and switchlogy. Really never needed two functions on one button or switch. The A-10C is pretty much pre-configured for the TM Warthog, everything else is on the instrument panels. For the F-15, SU-27 and M2000c I try to get as close to the real hotas as I can, but I make sure all primary radar, CMS, TMS and DMS switches are programmed on my HOTAS. Then gear and secondary flight avionics for whatever space is left on my TM.

I suppose it's user preference though, so there is no right/wrong way, as long as it works for the user. BUT, the TM software does f up some binary functions as you found out.

Good luck!

DrDetroit

I use the TM Cougar HOTAS also. I use the Foxy software to program my stick and throttle. I found the best way to program the micro stick was to leave it empty in Foxy (no programming) and assign the microstick functions in the DCS Options.

For the F15C it is under Axis:

TDC Slew Horizontal = Joy_RY

TDC Slew Vertical = Joy_Slider2

Do not try the 'mouse' versions of the two above.

Once you get those assigned just edit the Axis. I use a 20 Saturation in the 'Y' axis for both. Nice and slow.

Hope that helps

hmm,, good point! because I do have the microstick programmed in Foxy, I will REM it out and then see if I can assign axis to :

TDC Slew Horizontal

TDC Slew Vertical

Thanks, I will report back tonight,,,

Well I use the cockpit for all my avionics needs and switchlogy. Really never needed two functions on one button or switch. The A-10C is pretty much pre-configured for the TM Warthog, everything else is on the instrument panels. For the F-15, SU-27 and M2000c I try to get as close to the real hotas as I can, but I make sure all primary radar, CMS, TMS and DMS switches are programmed on my HOTAS. Then gear and secondary flight avionics for whatever space is left on my TM.

I suppose it's user preference though, so there is no right/wrong way, as long as it works for the user. BUT, the TM software does f up some binary functions as you found out.

Good luck!

DrDetroit

I dont own the Warthog HOTAS, maybe thats the difference. So what your telling me is, that right out of the box, if you press China Hat Aft, you get one response, and if you HOLD China Hat Aft, it performs a different function out of the box?

Ah, I though you did have a TM Warthog. To be honest, don't recall - what's holding the china hat forward do? I think that's only comms, so don't need to HOLD the key press for a secondary action. I'll have to check that...but I don't think the china hat has two function IRL..could be mistaken.

To your point though, I think you have to have the software for secondary function to work...not sure as I actually don't fly the A-10c too often as of late and again, never needed two functions on one button - yet. There are a few buttons in BMS that need dual purpose, but I can set those keys in the BMS config.

Anyhow, I think you are correct that in many situation where you need more than one function on one button you'd need the TM software.

I might play around with that software later this week...simply because I hate having to reassign all the controls every update or when a new mod is installed. That to me is the biggest advantage I can see.

All this talk of HOTAS, I'm going to use mine right now!!

Good day!

DrDetroit

Edited by DrDetroit

DrDetroit, see attached layout of HOTAS functions, note the RED actions are what occurs when you HOLD that specific key as opposed to a simple press and release function. In addition, ech button can have more than one function if you use your S3 button on your joystick as a "Shift' key as intended. You simply have to add this button in your 'Modifiers" list in DCS Controls options, it comes up as "Joystick Button 3" as I recall. When you use the shift button in conjunction with another button you have mapped to do something else, it will perform a different function (one that you choose), therefore you don't need any software outside of DCS to accomplish this.

I dont own the Warthog HOTAS, maybe thats the difference. So what your telling me is, that right out of the box, if you press China Hat Aft, you get one response, and if you HOLD China Hat Aft, it performs a different function out of the box?

Yes it does but ONLY for the a10c module. any other module you cannot do that.

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Roger that, thanks

I use the TM Cougar HOTAS also. I use the Foxy software to program my stick and throttle. I found the best way to program the micro stick was to leave it empty in Foxy (no programming) and assign the microstick functions in the DCS Options.

For the F15C it is under Axis:

TDC Slew Horizontal = Joy_RY

TDC Slew Vertical = Joy_Slider2

Do not try the 'mouse' versions of the two above.

Once you get those assigned just edit the Axis. I use a 20 Saturation in the 'Y' axis for both. Nice and slow.

Hope that helps

Zeke, thank you, this actually helped point me in the right direction. I found the problem, in the Cougar Control Panel (where you calibrate the Cougar), I found the Microstick X & Y Axis in the 9 & 10 Column, which are not used. I never had them set to utilize, I did however have them programed via Foxy Software, that is why I was able to use them before, but because they were in the 9 & 10 Column, Windows did not know they existed, therefore, I was NOT able to set them as an Axis in DCS. All I had to do is swap them out with my Rudder & Toe breaks to open up a column for them as the Rudder & Toe Brakes I have are USB, not used by Foxy. I now have the microstick set as you do for Axis. Would you mind posting a pic of your Axis setting for them, I struggled a bit last night trying to make a nice smooth and slower curser movement, thanks

Thanks, will try and get on, not sure if I can today though