Tanks tougher in 1.5.2 ? A10C weaker ?

Phantom_Mark

Too bad there is no damage model for tanks yet. Even simple one like attacking from front or rear and hitting ammo/motor parts. Or is it?

From my experience the tanks have only some kind of healt bar feel to them where they are either working at 100% or destroyed and nothing between.

I wonder if it would have high hit on performace if hits would have to be counted in real time from high rate of fire weapons. I suppose the multicore support which is still missing could help in this case, or not?

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Too bad there is no damage model for tanks yet. Even simple one like attacking from front or rear and hitting ammo/motor parts. Or is it?

From my experience the tanks have only some kind of healt bar feel to them where they are either working at 100% or destroyed and nothing between.

I wonder if it would have high hit on performace if hits would have to be counted in real time from high rate of fire weapons. I suppose the multicore support which is still missing could help in this case, or not?

I'm pretty sure damage is higher when hitting from above or behind, but it's true that the health system only allows it to be either alive or dead.

• 3 weeks later...

Here I thought it was just me but the GAU isn't scratching the tanks. I've can't claim any issue with other weapons but 5 runs on 1 tank and he just laughed and eat a sandwich. On the 5th run he took out half my hog. Something seems weird here

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

CBU-87s always seemed worthless to me, though.

even if you set HOF and RPM to very low values to make sure the spread is very tight, i've never had any luck reliably killing groups of light armor with them, which is the intended role i believe.

HE in general seems very weak.

Never had problems with CBU. Are you sure you're not dropping below the HOF? 1800 can take care of a whole convoy with ease.

A while ago, (before DCS: World?) CBU-87's (and CBU-103's) had a realistic number of sub-munitions. Unfortunately, combined with the early explosion effects, an -87/-103 drop would lag everybody out while the explosions played. They toned down the number of submunitions to reduce lag, but I don't know if they compensated by increasing the explosion radius or damage or anything else. I swapped over to -97's and -105's at that time and haven't seen a need to go back. With the new engine, I'd like to see -87's and -103's go back to their realistic sub-munition loads, if the explosions still don't lag everything out.

• 3 weeks later...

Well something changed for the better recently. (re: V 1.5.3.50487)

I just took a flight out in a test mission I created, basically with each type of Russian tank there is stationed out there.

Took out two of each kind out with no bother and with 300 rounds left to spare.

All shots taken at less than 0.7km in short bursts, and behaved as expected.

Not had a chance to read the patch notes recently, but felt much more like it used to feel before I made this original post.

Really enjoying the new (to me at least) delayed concussion blast sound effect as well.

Edited by Phantom_Mark

It's a matter of TTP and practice. I can take out 16 T-90s with a single load due to repeated practice. There are a lot of posts about procedure on these boards, also check out my 'Tank Busting 101' training mission which provides procedural analysis and a good practice environment. Before I started using that mission I was reluctant to use guns against anything but unprotected soft targets. The A-10 was built specifically to bust tanks with the GAU-8.. granted, they had older tanks in mind.. but it's still effective (in game at least) if you go about it correctly.

Don't forget, you're putting out 70 of these per second:

30mm%20round.JPG

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

I think you are missing the point with the greatest of respect.

Something IMHO was previously wrong when I made this post at least.

I have been flying the A10C since beta and not had an issue before, then suddenly had an issue, and then just as suddenly no longer have an issue, it was the issue I was reporting more than how good or bad my aim is :music_whistling: :thumbup: :joystick: :pilotfly:

Main thing here for me is that things have returned to normal it seems :)

That's a nice shiny round btw :P

Phantom, my post wasn't directed at you exclusively, I don't doubt your abilities. The post branched into discussions about the abilities of the GAU-8 against tanks. I was responding to that subdiscussion within your post. I hope the training mission link I posted was helpful to someone.. I still use it at least once a month to stay sharp with the cannon. Sorry for getting somewhat off topic. Glad your issue is resolved.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Tell me how it goes. When I first started flying that mission I couldn't make it through the 8 "inactive" tanks with a single loadout. Now I can make it through those plus the 8 active hostile tanks without getting hit. It really didn't take that long once I got my head around it.

I'd really like to see a video or a track file of you doing this.

I've tried that mission several times now and I can take out those "inactive" tanks quite reliably, but only if I go really close, like 0.5 to 0.3. :joystick:

..and that's not where I want to go when engaging agressive tanks.

Yeah I'll make a vid when I can. Not a bad idea to link it on the mission page. I too engage .7 to .4. The trick to not getting shot is to roll in when close so they can't track you in time, then use a little rudder on egress. You're also a much harder target if you aren't on a horizontal or vertical axis (pull out at 45deg for instance). Sometimes when I fly the mission I'll orbit the hostile tanks closely for a while before killing them just to practice avoiding their fire. Keep your eye on the tracers and touch a little rudder.