Rocket Types

dresoccer4

hey all, just got the F-5E and having a blast learning all of its systems. However i'm kind of confused about the different rocket types. the manual makes no mention of them (unless i missed it).

at the loadout screen i can see two different pods: LAU-3 (although the manual calls it

LAU-60, same thing??) and LAU-68. and for each pod i see:

- 2.75' MK151 HE

- 2.75' MK156 WP

- 2.75' MK5 HEAT

- 2.75' MK61 WP

- 2.75' WTU-1/b WP

- FFAR M156 WP

- FFAR Mk1 HE

- FFAR Mk5 HEAT

and there's a few i left out that look to be either smoke or practice rounds. that's a lot of different rocket types! does anyone know what they are, or can point to any documentation?

thanks!

-Daniel

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

cool, looking forward to the new version with F-5 arms

HE high explosives, typical against every type of targets but armored.

WP white phosphorous, white smoke for the game, in RL can be used as incendiary due to the properties of the WP, very inflamable.

Heat high explosive antitank, used for armored tragets.

the ones that start with 2.75 is the Hydra 70 2.75 Inch rocket that entered service in the 1970s/80s.

Where as the FFAR is a older 2.75 rocket that entered service in 1948

The Hydra 70 is derived from the FFAR and has a longer range

(more powerful rocket engine).

they can carry the same warheads so the only real difference is the rocket engine and the stabilization fins.

the FFAR was originally adopted as a air-air rocket (against bombers etc) and the Hydra as an air-ground rocket but in the mid-late 50s the FFAR became more and more re tasked to Air-ground duties as well since it had been proven that rockets were not that effective in the air-air role.

The FFAR was the standard 2.75 "light" rocket for the US untill the mid-late 1970s and was used in both Korea (early in its service) and Vietnam,

and it has been carried on both helicopters and fixed wing aircraft.

(with its use on helicopter gunships being more significant).

In game terms the Hydra 70 should be far superior in terms of accuracy and range so if you just want performance the Hydra 70

(Rockets that just start with 2.75) would be the better choice.

Where as the FFAR is the older rocket so for any pre 1980 scenarios the FFAR would be a more historical choice.

Edited by mattebubben
  • Like 2

the ones that start with 2.75 is the Hydra 70 2.75 Inch rocket that entered service in the 1970s/80s.

Where as the FFAR is a older 2.75 rocket that entered service in 1948

The Hydra 70 is derived from the FFAR and has a longer range

(more powerful rocket engine).

they can carry the same warheads so the only real difference is the rocket engine and the stabilization fins.

the FFAR was originally adopted as a air-air rocket (against bombers etc) and the Hydra as an air-ground rocket but in the mid-late 50s the FFAR became more and more re tasked to Air-ground duties as well since it had been proven that rockets were not that effective in the air-air role.

The FFAR was the standard 2.75 "light" rocket for the US untill the mid-late 1970s and was used in both Korea (early in its service) and Vietnam,

and it has been carried on both helicopters and fixed wing aircraft.

(with its use on helicopter gunships being more significant).

In game terms the Hydra 70 should be far superior in terms of accuracy and range so if you just want performance the Hydra 70

(Rockets that just start with 2.75) would be the better choice.

Where as the FFAR is the older rocket so for any pre 1980 scenarios the FFAR would be a more historical choice.

thanks for the great descriptions!

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules