How to optimize home cockpit dxf plans for a different size CnC cutter

Jeesus

Dear All!

I have a slight problem I would like to ask your help about.

I recently started a simple cockpit project, I want to have it based on Jedi's cockpit plans oprimized by geneb.

My problem is that the plans are optimized for a 5mm cutter head and the guys who are cutting the are working with a 12mm one, therefore at some places there is not enough room between parts.

Anybody knows a good solution or software that can optimize the dxf plans? Not a cad rawing expert at all :(

Thank you very much for the help.

TrailBlazer

For them to use a 5mm cutter they would be running the machine a lot slower, it would take a lot longer and cost more.

Having said that, you need them to use a smaller cutter, ideally :) I dont exactly remember the crucial areas where tool size matters but you will have to go and chisel out some rounded inside corners if they need to be square. The worse that can happen is that there is a bit of the toolpath that a 12mm cutter will not fit in so it wont do it at all. I don't know if that could happen on his plans or not.

Thanks Guys! I already managed to sort it out, just needed a nesting software to separate the parts more on the sheet, MyNesting 4.30 did the job perfectly to separate them around 20mm minimal distance and there is no more problem with the 12mm cutter size any more.

Basicly they only had a 12mm cutter by the way, they told me the 5mm one would break coutting that thick plywood :)

TrailBlazer