109 rudder right-left

i know that was asked a couple of times already, but i cant remember it being answered at all..so, except for take-offs, wasnt the 109 known to need much left rudder? there was even the saying that 109 pilots needed a longer left foot..and i guess that didnt come out of nowhere...in dcs its the opposite.

Actually, just as any prop with CW rotating prop the use of right rudder is normal / expected on takeoff and high power / low speed / high AoA situations, and in a powerful 109 k4, even taking off with power set at just 1,35 ATA will require a "lot" of right rudder too in DCS, but what I ever hear / read about was the need for LEFT rudder in cruise, and that is why the 109 pilots were said to have a longer left leg.

That is due to the "overcompensation" at higher speeds / lower AoA of the tail vertical fin + rudder profile, which is not symmetrical, creating a right yaw at higher power settings / AoA / lower speeds to counter the prop torque / slipstream and p-factor effects, which is no longer required at higher speeds / lower AoAs as in cruise or high speed dives / maneuvering.

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

• ED Team
Actually, just as any prop with CW rotating prop the use of right rudder is normal / expected on takeoff and high power / low speed / high AoA situations, and in a powerful 109 k4, even taking off with power set at just 1,35 ATA will require a "lot" of right rudder too in DCS, but what I ever hear / read about was the need for LEFT rudder in cruise, and that is why the 109 pilots were said to have a longer left leg.

That is due to the "overcompensation" at higher speeds / lower AoA of the tail vertical fin + rudder profile, which is not symmetrical, creating a right yaw at higher power settings / AoA / lower speeds to counter the prop torque / slipstream and p-factor effects, which is no longer required at higher speeds / lower AoAs as in cruise or high speed dives / maneuvering.

Fin and trim tab was designed to have zero pedal forces at cruise. Left rudder is more relevant to dives.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

The ground adjustable rudder/aileron trim tab is a feature I value very highly in DCS. I can fly perfectly hands & feet off at my preferred power settings after careful adjustment.

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming