GBU's and the A-10

EricJ

It's been discussed that the A-10 can use a GBU series bomb in LOMAC. Now my q is how?

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

Guest IguanaKing

Heh...you're in luck dude. I've got a new meinit I just made last night, based on new info I got from Dice regarding the carriage of AGM-65Ds. If you're asking how the IRL A-10 can employ such a weapon...its easy. See that pod hanging on the right side of your LOMAC A-10s nose? That is the PAVEPenny pod. Its a passive laser receiver that will direct you toward your target. It actually works in LOMAC too, and its LOS limited, just like the real thing.

Guest IguanaKing

I'll upload the new one as soon as I go back and remove the rest of what I've started working on. I'm NATOizing the names of Russian objects in the mission editor. That's just an experiment though, I'm not sure it'll be all that desireable for most of the LOMAC community. Does anybody know what the ejector racks were called on the A-10 that carried a maximum of two bombs? Heh...I know its not important, but it makes my eyes hurt seeing a TER referred to as an MER in the editor, so I'm changing those as well. :)

Heh...you're in luck dude. I've got a new meinit I just made last night, based on new info I got from Dice regarding the carriage of AGM-65Ds. If you're asking how the IRL A-10 can employ such a weapon...its easy. See that pod hanging on the right side of your LOMAC A-10s nose? That is the PAVEPenny pod. Its a passive laser receiver that will direct you toward your target. It actually works in LOMAC too, and its LOS limited, just like the real thing.

lol thanks IK, but I'm an IRL Forward Observer, I know what it is, that and my dad was Air Force, and I could identify an A-7 before I was ten ;)

No I'm asking how to get them working in LOMAC.

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

Guest IguanaKing
lol thanks IK, but I'm an IRL Forward Observer, I know what it is, that and my dad was Air Force, and I could identify an A-7 before I was ten ;)

No I'm asking how to get them working in LOMAC.

To get them working in LOMAC, you can make use of my A-10 weapons mod, which I'll up-load to this thread shortly. Select a GBU like you would normally select an A-G weapon, fly to get your PAVEPenny within its detection parameters, hit the "O" [letter, not number] key to bring up CCRP mode, then fly the CCRP pipper to the release point. Release is automatic. Deadly as hell against a stationary target, and you need some altitude also. :D

Guest IguanaKing

Here's the latest A-10 weapons mod. This one has the same add-ons the original one had, but a 3rd AGM-65D has been added to stations 3 and 9. Be sure to make a backup of your current meinit.xml file before applying this, of course.

Hey Iquana, i like it that we can get these new armaments onto the a-10 but i am having issues. I can get pretty much everything onto the plane just not all of it to work. The BLU-755, although i can see it hanging on the plane, is not recognized at all by the plane. Secondly, i can switch through and select the GBU-10 and GBU-12 but i cant move the pipper and latch onto a target to fire. Any solutions?

Guest IguanaKing
I would be interested in this!! At least having the name in parenthesis after the existing name would suffice . . .

Thanks for the interest, Vapor. :thumbup: I was unsure of the format to use, but that sounds good. I'm also correcting the cyrillic-english errors in many of the Russian system names. This should help when a LOMAC flier wants to do a little googling to learn a bit about those systems...these errors ABOUND on the Russian surface-to-air systems in the game.

Guest IguanaKing
Hey Iquana, i like it that we can get these new armaments onto the a-10 but i am having issues. I can get pretty much everything onto the plane just not all of it to work. The BLU-755, although i can see it hanging on the plane, is not recognized at all by the plane. Secondly, i can switch through and select the GBU-10 and GBU-12 but i cant move the pipper and latch onto a target to fire. Any solutions?

Not sure about the BL-755 issue, but I'll look at it again. The GBUs don't allow you to move the pipper. PAVEpenny does that automatically for you, and its related to the current target selected. GBUs on the Hog are limited to being targeted on areas that are illuminated by ground troops or other aircraft, so, unfortunately you can only target it by cycling through the targets you designated in the Mission Editor. That's pretty much the way it works IRL too. I'll investigate the 755 issue.

Guest IguanaKing

No problems with the BL-755 on my end. Which stations are you hanging them on? You should be good-to-go for any station except station 6. I think I also left out 1 and 11, since those stations proved to be unreliable for A-G ordnance recognition in the game.

Yeah I had to figure that out myself, since the first test flight was without pre-designated targets. However, you shouldn't have to get too wild with the altitude, as while I was pretty high up, when I took the screenshot I was pretty much near the same height, and flew a more level profile. But the good thing about your MEInit, it got the darn digital camo A-10 scheme working, and like how you made some "flyable", gonna make some fun out of it, even though the FM is pretty much similar.

Guest IguanaKing

I imagine you're right about the altitude. My problem with my bombs falling short, I think, probably had something to do with my inadvertently hitting the "J" key some time during the fight in A-10 campaign mission 2. I thought I was having some weird engine failure, but both were doing the same thing, and weren't responding to throttle inputs. After I nailed the last ZSU with my Avenger (he locked me up right before my API and HE PGUs hit home and he exploded. :gun_sniper:) , I climbed and turned for home wondering how I was going to land with my engines being so funny. Then it hit me...I must have accidentally toggled autothrottle. :doh:

Guest IguanaKing

How'd you do it? I just looked at the graphical representation of my payload mod in LOPE and I DO have A-G stuff hung on 1 and 11. If 1 and 11 are still a problem, please let me know...I don't want a bugged meinit floating around. :)

I imagine you're right about the altitude. My problem with my bombs falling short, I think, probably had something to do with my inadvertently hitting the "J" key some time during the fight in A-10 campaign mission 2. I thought I was having some weird engine failure, but both were doing the same thing, and weren't responding to throttle inputs. After I nailed the last ZSU with my Avenger (he locked me up right before my API and HE PGUs hit home and he exploded. :gun_sniper:) , I climbed and turned for home wondering how I was going to land with my engines being so funny. Then it hit me...I must have accidentally toggled autothrottle. :doh:

lol I think the worst was when I finally managed to land on the Kuz. I had touched down, and was using the autothrottle to sorta make it easier, and snagged the wire, when the engines went full AB, and was like "WTF?" frantically trying to figure what was going on, and well, needless to say I did a bolter into the water. Now when I hit the deck, I immediatly turn it off, just to make sure....

Select a GBU like you would normally select an A-G weapon, fly to get your PAVEPenny within its detection parameters, hit the "O" [letter, not number] key to bring up CCRP mode, then fly the CCRP pipper to the release point. Release is automatic. Deadly as hell against a stationary target, and you need some altitude also. :D

First great MOD!

I cant get the GBU's to release automatically, I select the GBU-10 then "O" for laser then level out as I fly towards the target. As I close the "Cuing Marker" starts to slide down the "Fall Line" but it never releases. What I have to do is to manual press the fire(release) button while the Cuing Marker is sliding down and then the GBU's release and hit the target.

Any clue as to what I am doing wrong?

Also can you drop GBU's in pairs?

Thx.:)

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

Forget my last post its working now :megalol:

I did discover though that if you release manually you can drop the GBU's at some pretty extreme angles. Just level out and try to keep the Cuing Marker within the HUD, then once it starts to slide, anywhere in the HUD, release the weapon and bingo it will hit the target.

Oh can you release them in pairs hehe I don't think so but just in case I thought I'd ask.

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest IguanaKing

I'm not sure if the GBUs will automatically release in pairs. Have you tried setting your Release Mode on the ACP to "PRS"? If that doesn't work you can always pickle the second one manually. I did that a few times when I was first learning how to drop them and didn't know the release was automatic. :lol:

I'm not sure if the GBUs will automatically release in pairs. Have you tried setting your Release Mode on the ACP to "PRS"? If that doesn't work you can always pickle the second one manually. I did that a few times when I was first learning how to drop them and didn't know the release was automatic. :lol:

I tried that but it didn't work. No big deal I actually prefer releasing manually so a double press works perfect.. Its those damn Amo depots it takes two GBU 10 (2X240kg) to destroy just one :smilewink:

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest IguanaKing

I wonder if the Hog can carry the GBU-28. If it can, I'll have to put it on there, that should take care of those ammo depots in one shot. :devil_2: