Custom Joystick build / Warthog Handle

Hi all

Just a couple of pictures of my custom-built ball-bearing gimbal.

It is somewhat oversized/over-engineered :-), but works very well from a functional standpoint, can't go back to a normal stick now. The extra length really helps with precision but the real kicker for me is that when the stick is at the stops I can still easily push the buttons etc (since the angle of the stick versus the hand is only about 15 deg vs mabye 40 deg for a standard length joystick), much more comfortable.

For USB I used one of Leo Bodnar's cards, the handle is still connected to the warthog base so I can use target etc. To detect the x and y position I used 90deg hall effect rotary sensors.

The small arm to which the spring attaches to makes is very easy to adjust the center position.

The stops can be slid up/down to adjust the travel.

QEY61Nk.jpg

wMYg130.jpg

9OaSsXh.jpg

Camera went a little bonkers on the second and third image and made everything into black and white, don't know why, maybe the camera was feeling depressed and neglected since we use our phone cameras almost exclusively these days.....:D

/Oakes

It is somewhat oversized/over-engineered :-)

That may be, but I can well imagine your satisfaction.

I remember decades ago when I accomplished making my own rudder pedals, they were strange yet beautiful to me. Quite functional too.

Win 10 64 bit

Intel I-7 7700K

32GB Ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6gig