TM warthog throttle slider is no longer working, need advice for alternative

The slider has started jittering MASSIVELY a month ago and it's getting worse since. Right now, the forward axis(zoom in) is no longer detectable by the calibration tool(re-calibrated for over 30+ times in a row now) and the center deadzone will be off-centered after a few cycles of slide movement(On top of the mentioned massive jitter). Thus, it's pretty much dead.

Unfortunately, my warranty has expired pass June and It'll most likely cost me for the repair via my local dealership(I live in Hong Kong). I could live without the slider as long as I'm not flying the A-10C, but I thought It would be nice If there's any other cheaper/easier way to have it fixed or replaced(Note: Not a DIY expert nor have any experience in repairing things here).

Any advice? :)

It's a very easy fix as it's a regular potentiometer. I don't quite remember the specs though. I believe it's actually the same as the one on the Cougar throttle. Maybe someone can chime in?

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

This slider seems use potentiomter - what explain their fail, notice 3 wires:

http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/images/technology_174a_016.jpg

Without rely on Tm replacement and since "joystick" pot' (limited electric angle) is not commonly available in stores, the easy option is get a PS3 like mini-stick (eBay, Aliexpress...), that came with 2 "joystick" pot', remove the pot from mini-stick, or pay some electronics technician for remove and replace the defective.

Edited by Sokol1_br

This slider sees use potentiomter - what explain their fail, notice 3 wires:

http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/images/technology_174a_016.jpg

Without rely on Tm replacement and since "joystick" pot' (limited electric angle) is not available in stores, the option is get a PS3 like mini-stick (eBay, Aliexpress...), that came with 2 "joystick" pot', remove the pot from mini-stick, or pay some electronics technician for remove and replace the defective.

Hey Sokol, are you absolutely sure it's not available from mouser or digikey? Is that some custom pot?

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

Look at topics of people searching for Tm Cougar pots, the best they find outside Tm is simila pot (original is no longer manufactured by CTS) , but with short axis, so physically don't fit well in place.

Should be simple replace pot in joysticks, as pot is plenty available, but as is required "joystick pot" with 30 ~60 degrees of electrical angle... is not.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Look at topics of people searching for Tm Cougar pots, the best they find outside Tm is simila pot (original is no longer manufactured by CTS) , but with short axis, so physically don't fit well in place.

Should be simple replace pot in joysticks, as pot is plenty available, but as is required "joystick pot" with 30 ~60 degrees of electrical angle... is not.

Good thing I am changing my controller from stock TM to Kreml's one. :)

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

The slider has started jittering MASSIVELY a month ago and it's getting worse since. Right now, the forward axis(zoom in) is no longer detectable by the calibration tool(re-calibrated for over 30+ times in a row now) and the center deadzone will be off-centered after a few cycles of slide movement(On top of the mentioned massive jitter). Thus, it's pretty much dead.

Unfortunately, my warranty has expired pass June and It'll most likely cost me for the repair via my local dealership(I live in Hong Kong). I could live without the slider as long as I'm not flying the A-10C, but I thought It would be nice If there's any other cheaper/easier way to have it fixed or replaced(Note: Not a DIY expert nor have any experience in repairing things here).

Any advice? :)

Have you considered cleaning the potentiometer with electronics cleaner spray/fluid?

It might help.

Also, it could also be a wiring problem, so check that too.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Thing is proper cleanup in this small pot' require disassemble the pot case, whit good chance to kill then with "heavy hands", and can result more laborious that just replace. :)

Saitek TQ but is the same kind of pot:

Spray the pot' case outside will have little effect - spray is good for pot with openings in case like the vintage pot used by CH.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Thank you guys for the replies!

So, I guess my best bet would be find that small PS analog joystick piece as a replacement. :)

It's just a simple step of plug in/out,right? Will I need special tool like a glue gun?And, how accurate is the PS pot compared to TM's?

Also, do you guys have any advice on preventing this from happening again? It sounds like TM's pot is poorly made, and I only own it for a little over a year. But, I seem to be the only one having this issue as I can't find any other similar thread.

Is not just plug, is necessary use solder tools (solder iron, solder sucker) for remove the wear out pot, remove from PS2 stick, and solder the new in wires. If don't have tools and skill for use, look with friends, or find a local electronic technician to do this job.

When new the PS pot will work like the original Tm, but may he last less, since probable is more low cost model as this Chinese replacement mini-stick's is generic parts.

But you find mini-stick from traditional pot' brands, like Alps, look at Digikey.

And, be warned that getting the PS mini-stick not warranty a proper replacement, the pot will have the necessary electric specs, e.g. 10K, B type, 30~60 degrees of "electric angle", but maybe don't have the necessary physical size, specially axis diameter, "D" recess, for replace the original, will be a trial and error.

I know that people use this pot from PS mini-stick for replace in Saitek TQ, since the original is not available for buy.

BTW - As you are in Asia, look for Polyshine resselers, this brand make "joystick potentiomer".

http://www.polyshine.cn/Type.aspx?id=45

http://www.polyshine.cn/Type.aspx?id=44

F10KV seems similar to Tm:

http://www.polyshine.cn/ProductDetail-219.html

Datasheet - see the "electrical angle":

http://www.polyshine.cn/uploadFile/F10KV-2013-12-23-03-27-55.pdf

Important - Warthog throttle PCB is famous" to be subject to "brick" for unknown reasons- maybe due power variations, so hands static electricity may kill then during this kind of "surgery' - think about before do anything.

Edited by Sokol1_br

• 3 weeks later...

F10KV pots seem interesting. Any idea where to order them? :)

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat