Newb Question

Turnip

Greetings, I flew this sim about I think, about 2 years ago and for one reason or another I stopped. I wanted to get back into it but see TONS has changed. I still have the DCS folders in my saved games folder on this computer however, I forget what it is I need to get it back up and running. I last flew it right before the release of the Las Vegas scenery. I also flew the A-10. What is the best way to get this back up and running? Thanks

At the end of January the "2.5" version is going to be released and that will merge the Caucasus map into the 2.0 World .When this happens ypu will need to do a fresh install or update from the 1.5 Open Beta version. Assuming you just want to fly in Caucasus you should download, update, or switch release version to 1.5 open beta. If you want to use NTTR or Normandy you need to download or update 2.0 openalpha version.

If you're limited on disk space or downloading a new install or update takes a real long time you may want to hold off. As long as you've got room whatever version you have can be used to copy files for the 2.5 install. I just wanted to point out that updating both 1.5 and 2.0 version now would be a waste of time.

Do you still have one or more of the versions installed? You should be able to update whatever you have now and be good to go.

I still have the EAGLE DYNAMICS folder with all its sub directories. I also have the DCS UPDATER file which I clicked on. My DSL download speeds where is live is about 1/4 MB/sec. Absolutely TERRIBLE! I am currently on torrents trying to download the update but after a solid day, I'm only 1/2 way there. SIDE NOTE: I hope to finally have Comcast out here in two weeks or so. I also have the A-10 Warthog that I was becoming proficient at before I bailed. I am eyeballing the F-18 now but I've been away for so long, I have forgotten how all this ties together.

In your Programs folder is the program itself and the Saved Games folder is what stores things like options and preferences, controller layout, downloaded missions and skins, and other files that need to be created.

It should be pretty obvious what you're updating. If it just says DCS World its the release version. It will say DCS Open Beta for Beta version. Both of these have only Caucasus map. If its DCS OpenAlpha you will need NTTR or Normandy for it.

Your modules get updated too so when your download is complete you're all set.

I now have a DCS WORLD folder and a DCS WORLD 2 OPENALPHA. While in the OPEN ALPHA sim, I no longer have the caucuses terrain and just Nevada. Is this normal? Can I NOT have the Caucuses terrain in the OPENALPHA?

That is correct. At end of January with "2.5" update Caucasus will get merged in so you need only one install and we can put all this nonsense behind us.