How accurate will the flight model and physics be !?

Fuelburner

I’d like to know if the real F-18 pilots who are involved in the current programming process are also involved how realistic the flight model will get !? I’ve flown the T38 Talon by myself and was very disappointed when purchasing the F-5 as its aerodynamic behavior ist not very realistic. Of course ist’s not a T38 but very close to it. I’m very excited about the F18 releas but also curious if it will be worth it.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

My personal impression ist that the F5 has more power in real life. Especially the speed loss during tight turns seems to be oversimulated. As well as the buffering and pitch authority during the turns are much better in real life.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Of course ist’s not a T38 but very close to it.

I dont agree with that. The F-5 is quite different, the T-38 has for example a very different wing without the leading edge extension or the F5s flap system with leading edge flaps on top of the trailing edge that in our version are automatic.

Its also a different weight and power class to begin with and a two seater, and from what i know even the F-5F two seater flys differently than the F-5E.

I honestly dont see why you expect the T38 to be that close to a F-5E.

Edited by GrmlZ

I suspect the flight model will be as close as possible to the real thing, but there is naturally a huge gap between simulation and reality.

I also suspect it will improve over time like a vintage bottle of Bordeaux - trouble is, we'll all want to pull the cork on day 1 and quaff the lot instead of waiting for it to reach perfection.

So past experience says - it'll be good, but don't expect miracles. It is going to be the flagship module going forwards in the same way that the A-10C has been since it's release. That alone tells me a huge investment will have been made in the F/A-18C, and it'll be streets ahead of some of the other releases we have seen.

Just accept however that it definitely won't be complete in early release, and make observations, but don't lose the plot when flying it at first. Alternatively, switch off your PC, and wait a year before getting it in it's more complete state if you can't handle the development phase.

The F-5 is quite different, the T-38 has for example a very different wing without the leading edge extension or the F5s flap system with leading edge flaps on top of the trailing edge that in our version are automatic.

I guess it would explain why the F-5 is able to have a higher AoA in turns and thus bleed more speed.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As long as you are staying inside the envelope there is absolutely no reason why there should be a 'huge gap'.

I'd say there's much more to it than that. But you're totally right about flying by the numbers. Go outside that area, and you're bound to hit problems. The huge gap is also about seat of the pants flying, G effects and all those areas currently beyond our reach - which no home PC will ever be capable of simulating in my lifetime.

Have not flown the T-38, but the F-5 A/B for 7 years and I found the model is pretty good. Even the final turn is, IMO, well simulated...the plane looses speed very quickly during a steep final turn and set up a dangerous high sink rate...so don't drop the nose!

Maybe a tip: make sure the nozzles are at minimum in full Mil (not in afterburner range) if you have a throttle with an afterburner setting....Otherwise you will not have the needed full mil power during a steep final turn.

Have fun!