2.5 Video Settings - VR Quality/Performance Balance

StrongHarm

Okay have you guys adjusted height distance and angle of the HMD with respect to your eyes?

First do the occulus setup and get IPD correct.

Essentially the distance HMD to eye will effect overall focus.

Angle will reduce colour fringing of the text (hence resolution) top and bottom.

Height the top band controls this.

Without some form of spacing distance can be difficult but for me the standard "face interface" is about right.

Adjust the height for best center of vision then adjust angle and repeat and use small increments of adjustment are best that will help with the optical focus to the eyeballs.

Actually I focus on the mask (screen door effect) which if I choose to I can see clearly but in game I don't really process it it, I'm too busy avoiding the ground or other objects or taking in the scenery. No I don't think it's perfect but I still think it's pretty damn good. :D

The other thing I find is that if you have too much processing PD or MSAA or AF will also just make the Rift look blurry doubly o when ASW kicks in.

I am lucky in that even though I need glasses I have no issue with rift. YMMV.

Edited by FragBum
<typo>

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay since upgrading to a 1080ti here is what works fairly well for me as far as video settings.

PD = 1.0 this seems to add a blur to the edges anything above 1.2ish I'm okay with the small amount of aliasing.

Force IPD (thats a keeper so far fo me. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=179221&stc=1&d=1518768430

Now that the weekend is here I'll do some more tweaking. :pilotfly:

cURRENTvrsETTINGS.thumb.JPG.d18ea88a904552ae1b9869d600da6fa3.JPG

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Resolution should have no effect on VR. Your Rift runs at a preset resolution and can't be changed.

To change your field of view you can do one of two things; 1. Force IPD on the VR page or 2. Lead forward a little and use your key for recenter VR. If you don't have the key set for recenter VR, it's in your controls page under UI Layer.

For Force IPD you need the value that your IPD on your rift is set to. If the physical slider is all the way to the right, that's 70 IPD.

Question. I set up a new Rift touch today. Prior to that I was running a 50" 4KUHD Samsung at 3840x2160 and a 27" Acer touch panel with Helios for a combined res of 5760x2160. After installing the Rift I didn't bother changing the resolution from 5760x2160 to 1024x768 or whatever res the Rift is supposed to run. I was also using a custom monitor.lua for the touch screen which I didn't bother changing either.

I fired up A10C and it looked gorgeous. When I realized I hadn't changed my old settings I went back and set it to single monitor but took the resolution to 4096x2160. It started making me nauseous lol but I kept flying and adjusting my headset trying to get it better but no joy.

After this I set it back to 5760x2160 with Three Monitor selected..... HOLY SHIT! Everything looks f'ing awesome. Looking out backwards at the wing the plane is true to scale. It's also smooth as silk. I've used 3 Monitor with the TV and the 3 seams are glaringly noticeable but with the Rift there's no bending when looking around at all.

Now if this is how everyone is setting theirs up please forgive my recently lost VR virginity. I only ask after reading this thread and seeing that the original poster has a GTX1080 but was running at 1080 resolution. My specs are: i7 6700k @ 4.2ghz, 16gb mem, 1tb ssd, Asus Strix GTX1060 6gb card on an Asus Maximus Hero 8 board.

After reading this thread I went back and changed to the recommended settings and did not get good results.

I'm running at 5760x2160 res which I typed in instead of choosing and it works. 3Monitor configuration from the drop down. MSAA off, PD 1.5, 4X AF and pretty much medium or higher for the rest.

What I can't figure out is how to zoom out or elongate the cockpit where I sit a little further back.

Sorry for the long post but I've flown Falcon since 2000 through all of its incarnations and for me the holy grail was always exported MFD's. But even with YAME and Helios or a military accurate 3 projector simulator for that matter, DCS and a Rift is simply outstanding and blows them away! The only thing better is the real deal. Need haptic gloves though lol.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Okay have you guys adjusted height distance and angle of the HMD with respect to your eyes?

First do the occulus setup and get IPD correct.

Essentially the distance HMD to eye will effect overall focus.

Angle will reduce colour fringing of the text (hence resolution) top and bottom.

Height the top band controls this.

Without some form of spacing distance can be difficult but for me the standard "face interface" is about right.

Adjust the height for best center of vision then adjust angle and repeat and use small increments of adjustment are best that will help with the optical focus to the eyeballs.

Actually I focus on the mask (screen door effect) which if I choose to I can see clearly but in game I don't really process it it, I'm too busy avoiding the ground or other objects or taking in the scenery. No I don't think it's perfect but I still think it's pretty damn good. :D

The other thing I find is that if you have too much processing PD or MSAA or AF will also just make the Rift look blurry doubly o when ASW kicks in.

I am lucky in that even though I need glasses I have no issue with rift. YMMV.

For the most part I'm good to go with the focus. My only complaint right now is that I'm too close to the front panel in the cockpit. I'll try leaning back and saving that position when I figure out how lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

anyone have advice on making cockpit clear I wear Bi-Foculs so can get a prescription for Oculus and the writing and things like channel list next to radio in F-5 are just a blur

I wear bifocals as well, but for my rift glasses I'm using standard lenses with the computer anodized coating only.

These glasses fit perfectly into the rift and perfectly cover the rift lenses:

https://www.framesdirect.com/framesfp/Brooks_Brothers-lakaphnh/r.html

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Strongharm, thanks for the tip I'll try it tomorrow. As far as resolution is concerned, while I know it shouldn't effect how things look, it does. When you get a chance set your res to 5760x2160 by typing it in the drop down. Select 3 Screens and see what it looks like. I'm curious..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

FragBum,

I did some more testing on ASW. The reason your GPU isn't topped out when using ASW is because ASW requires less resources to do the same thing. It's a good thing. Not using ASW causes edge bleed and double vision, which may give you VR sickness.

Here's a good way to reproduce the effects so you can see what I'm talking about:

1. Get in A-10C on the ramp

2. Leave ASW on and look at your UFC numbers

3. Move your head back and forth ala Stevie Wonder while looking at your UFC

4. You should see no edge bleed or double vision

5. Hit CTRL+Num1 to disable ASW and "Stevie Wonder" the UFC again

6. You'll notice obvious double vision and edge bleed

7. Hit CTRL+Num4 to re-enable ASW, the edge bleed and double vision should go away

The purpose of ASW is to prevent VR sickness and eye strain caused by edge bleed and double vision. With ASW off, you may not clearly see it happening everywhere like you do when you "Stevie Wonder the UFC", but it's still there and it still affects you.

Disclaimer: I'm not telling you what to do. Feel free to extend your finger at my post and disable ASW at me.

stevie-wonder-o.gif

Except what I am seeing is ASW tends to throttle GPU usage with ASW on I was only seeing 50 to 60 % GPU usage and 16% CPU usage I initially thought after upgrading to 1080Ti my CPU was limiting performance after turning ASW off and adjusting settings I now have near 100% GPU usage with same/similar 16% CPU usage and also usually always 90FPS in VR. The other aspect here is there is way less artefacts with ASW off and honestly it is still very smooth. At best ASW seems more like a gimmick.

I guess the point is with my old 980Ti it was almost always at 100% and the 1070 should also be somewhere around that level of performance I'm sure some more performance could be had by turning ASW off and tweaking settings.

See previous post here

FragBum,

I did some more testing on ASW. The reason your GPU isn't topped out when using ASW is because ASW requires less resources to do the same thing. It's a good thing. Not using ASW causes edge bleed and double vision, which may give you VR sickness.

Here's a good way to reproduce the effects so you can see what I'm talking about:

7. Hit CTRL+Num4 to re-enable ASW, the edge bleed and double vision should go away

The purpose of ASW is to prevent VR sickness and eye strain caused by edge bleed and double vision. With ASW off, you may not clearly see it happening everywhere like you do when you "Stevie Wonder the UFC", but it's still there and it still affects you.

Disclaimer: I'm not telling you what to do. Feel free to extend your finger at my post and disable ASW at me.

stevie-wonder-o.gif

No not at all I'm just experimenting, but the Stevie Wonder look man that's how I fly the Gazelle all of the choppers actually. :D :thumbup:

I'm just checking out the latest update.

Oh what is a UFC number. Serious question. :(

UFC is the Up Front Controller. It's the box with buttons just below the heads up display:

hqdefault.jpg

UFC is the Up Front Controller. It's the box with buttons just below the heads up display:

hqdefault.jpg

There's the problem it doesn't have a rotor on it. :P :)

For the most part I'm good to go with the focus. My only complaint right now is that I'm too close to the front panel in the cockpit. I'll try leaning back and saving that position when I figure out how lol

Have you tried re-centering your headset once in the game? Numpad 5 or you can bind it to a button on your stick.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

I think he's saying that he doesn't like the default head position. When starting a mission I personally crane my neck forward and down a little and recenter. When I lean back to normal position my virtual head is in a more natural position and I have a wider field of view of the cockpit.

Edited OP:

Also (I guess this would be categorized as hardware), I found the perfect set of eye glasses for use with the Rift. They fit well into the enclosure and perfectly cover the Rift lenses.

I just use the Move Cockpit Camera commands (which I have re-bound to my arrow keys) when I sit down in the cockpit. For example, in the Harrier I tap the down arrow 3-4 times and it moves my head back a little bit so I'm not hugging the UFC so closely. Seems about right to me.

< = Move head down (get shorter)

> = Move head up (get taller)

^ = Move up closer to the UFC

v = Move back further from the UFC

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I think he's saying that he doesn't like the default head position. When starting a mission I personally crane my neck forward and down a little and recenter. When I lean back to normal position my virtual head is in a more natural position and I have a wider field of view of the cockpit.

That's how I took it and why I pointed out he could re-center with NP5. Although I should also have pointed out that his lament was that he was too close to the panel and leaning back before centering would only have put him closer. leaning forward first would be the appropriate method or he could use the camera controls Buckeye pointed out.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

I just use the Move Cockpit Camera commands (which I have re-bound to my arrow keys) when I sit down in the cockpit. For example, in the Harrier I tap the down arrow 3-4 times and it moves my head back a little bit so I'm not hugging the UFC so closely. Seems about right to me.

< = Move head down (get shorter)

> = Move head up (get taller)

^ = Move up closer to the UFC

v = Move back further from the UFC

Ding ding ding! That's what I was looking for! Thanks for the responses gentlemen!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Question. I set up a new Rift touch today. Prior to that I was running a 50" 4KUHD Samsung at 3840x2160 and a 27" Acer touch panel with Helios for a combined res of 5760x2160. After installing the Rift I didn't bother changing the resolution from 5760x2160 to 1024x768 or whatever res the Rift is supposed to run. I was also using a custom monitor.lua for the touch screen which I didn't bother changing either.

I fired up A10C and it looked gorgeous. When I realized I hadn't changed my old settings I went back and set it to single monitor but took the resolution to 4096x2160. It started making me nauseous lol but I kept flying and adjusting my headset trying to get it better but no joy.

After this I set it back to 5760x2160 with Three Monitor selected..... HOLY SHIT! Everything looks f'ing awesome. Looking out backwards at the wing the plane is true to scale. It's also smooth as silk. I've used 3 Monitor with the TV and the 3 seams are glaringly noticeable but with the Rift there's no bending when looking around at all.

Now if this is how everyone is setting theirs up please forgive my recently lost VR virginity. I only ask after reading this thread and seeing that the original poster has a GTX1080 but was running at 1080 resolution. My specs are: i7 6700k @ 4.2ghz, 16gb mem, 1tb ssd, Asus Strix GTX1060 6gb card on an Asus Maximus Hero 8 board.

After reading this thread I went back and changed to the recommended settings and did not get good results.

I'm running at 5760x2160 res which I typed in instead of choosing and it works. 3Monitor configuration from the drop down. MSAA off, PD 1.5, 4X AF and pretty much medium or higher for the rest.

What I can't figure out is how to zoom out or elongate the cockpit where I sit a little further back.

Sorry for the long post but I've flown Falcon since 2000 through all of its incarnations and for me the holy grail was always exported MFD's. But even with YAME and Helios or a military accurate 3 projector simulator for that matter, DCS and a Rift is simply outstanding and blows them away! The only thing better is the real deal. Need haptic gloves though lol.

that's interesting that it would affect it so much. I believe the consensus was that resolution didn't matter because Rift uses its own. But if you can reproduce it, it's interesting. Some have noticed better FPS when going to full screen (on the mirrored display on the monitor). Maybe it's related?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I wear bifocals as well, but for my rift glasses I'm using standard lenses with the computer anodized coating only.

These glasses fit perfectly into the rift and perfectly cover the rift lenses:

https://www.framesdirect.com/framesfp/Brooks_Brothers-lakaphnh/r.html

That's not a bad frame to keep in mind. But for about same price, you can order purpose built goggles from https://vr-lens-lab.com/

Six one half dozen, probably.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I use the lean forward method myself. Another option is to use snap view methods to alter your default view. http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Snap_views This gets much more complicated. I use snap views for getting a locked view of each MFCD and the CDU in the A-10C, and a single locked view of the ABRIS and IT23 in the KA-50, but the same functions can be used to alter your default views.

That's not a bad frame to keep in mind. But for about same price, you can order purpose built goggles from https://vr-lens-lab.com/

Six one half dozen, probably.

There can be caveats to both VRLensLab and Ben Franklin frames. VRLL lenses can cause barreling especially in a strong prescription (I had to return mine) but if they will still offer a refund they may be worth trying. They do add quite noticeable weight to the hmd.

BF frames can be hard to find that support thicker (again strong prescription) lenses and depending on your head size one could have the fitting issues with the arms. I can fit my glasses in the Rift and then put it on (67 IPD) but when removing it the glasses come with it. Always worried about scratching the fresnels.

I settled on contact lenses. I would have done Lasik but it would have ruined my reading unaided.

I have an enormous head. 70 IPD is a bit too small for me. The Brooks Brothers glasses I linked above fit me nicely and I can't even feel them with the Rift on. They're perfect.. at least for me. Highly recommended.

The glasses I wear normally are Oakleys. I just swap out the Brooks Brothers before flying in VR.

There can be caveats to both VRLensLab and Ben Franklin frames. VRLL lenses can cause barreling especially in a strong prescription (I had to return mine) but if they will still offer a refund they may be worth trying. They do add quite noticeable weight to the hmd.

BF frames can be hard to find that support thicker (again strong prescription) lenses and depending on your head size one could have the fitting issues with the arms. I can fit my glasses in the Rift and then put it on (67 IPD) but when removing it the glasses come with it. Always worried about scratching the fresnels.

I settled on contact lenses. I would have done Lasik but it would have ruined my reading unaided.

No, not the lens that you stick into the Rift. I mean the thin goggles that you can wear.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

No, not the lens that you stick into the Rift. I mean the thin goggles that you can wear.

My bad. I should have checked your link and I would have seen they created a new item since I was a customer. Very interesting and not at all surprising considering the previous solution could be hit or miss. Thanks for bringing me up to date.

Okay I have tested the new Gazelle updates over the weekend and it feels great. :thumbup:

I also did some more testing of the GPU and found that locking the FPS to 45 with ASW disabled allowed me to significantly add more processing. I also found more is not always better and sometimes the "effect" wasn't worth the CPU/GPU overhead it incurred. I could apply some attributes and pretty much get 90FPS in Rift however setting the Rift to 45FPS no ASW and increasing other parameters appears to have gained better results.

Also "Micro stutters" seem to be the GPU brick walling at 100%, something that you can hit easily and with certain settings regularly push the GPU at high 90's to 100%. The problem with this is whilst the numbers look good it means you have sod all head room to cope with other stuff that might occur.

Also changing the settings of PD at 1.2 is a nice compromise in GPU utilisation verses affect more costs too much in my system and heads towards micro stutters and possibly other software throttling of GPU (judging by additional artefacts generated) All this is based on seat of the pants flying and subjective testing. :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=179385&stc=1&d=1518962848

This is current GPU utilisation there is some difference between the maps with Normandy being more demanding. The peak is dropping out of xbox recorder.

attachment.php?attachmentid=179386&stc=1&d=1518963096

In addition PD is at 1.2 , I also found whilst water at "high" whilst looking better with reflections was just too much of an overhead. Over all I'm fairly happy with a constant 45FPS ( just like the 980ti could do) but with better immersion and detail now.

Increasing textures seems to have incurred a slight performance hit but trading AA from 4 to 2 and using more VRAM just looks better. As always with this sort of testing there can be a certain amount of self bias so happy for others to pick the bones out of these observations.

There are still some artefacts that seem to be maybe software related and I need to investigate more, there not visible when recorded but appear to be an interference pattern on things like grid arrays of windows on buildings and need more investigation.

And if anyone is intereted some Gazelle testing :helpsmilie:

dcs_gpu_03.JPG.cc79ec76726eacd566b782cc3d70b56d.JPG

DCS_Settings_04.thumb.JPG.fdc1ea78a39af9be2eacb95ab55b57c0.JPG

FragBum, I hate to beat a dead horse, but the artifacts on grid arrays and windows on buildings is because you have ASW disabled. Fly low over a city and use CTRL+NUM1, CTRL+NUM4 to turn ASW on and off, you'll see what I'm talking about. I like to call these artifacts 'edge bleed'.

FragBum,

stevie-wonder-o.gif