2 cents to the Devs for future products

I'm loving LOMAC--all iterations of it--but it took some time to get up to speed. Just some advice for any future products--to make it easier to get into the sim, which will translate into more fans, and more buyers.

Provide password, or make it easily findable, for missions/campaigns. Let people know that the a certain a/c isn't invulnerable even though you can still press the invulnerable button. Make it conspicous in the manual, or quickstart guide, that you have to manually set your altimeter, due to different elevations of airbases.

These are very nit-picky things--but when they start to add up, they become really annoying when trying to search through forums or the manual trying to figure something out. Oh--forgot one--you have to delete the trackir files if you change options, or the trackir won't work.

Also--and this could just be my inability as a pilot--make the first few missions in a campaign a little easier? I STILL haven't been able to get through the first mission in the flaming cliffs campaign lol. The trackir is helping alot, to see those IR's coming up--but I'm still struggling.

I could see a "newbie" getting very discouraged, thinking "I'll just go invulnerable to get used to this beautiful beast", and then that doesn't work, and they think they're at 3500 meters and they're really not becausse they didn't update their altimeter while on the ground, and they're getting smoked by IR sams. They they change some options, and now their trackir doesn't work! Could drive someone mad, I tell you! Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything :doh:

Once all these things are known, the problems (or features) go away, and you realize they are awesome parts of the sim (the alitmeter e.g.). It would just be nice to have all of these issues in the readme, or quickstart guide.

I want this sim to grow and grow and grow with more and more fans--so I thought I'd put in my two cents. Whew. Done.

The chief point here: make it more user friendly for the newbie. Not the AFM, or the realism--just the quirks that might frustrate someone who is not in the know.

Also--forgive me if this stuff is obvious, and well-documented--but I had trouble finding it!

Good points, there is nothing more frustrating than inconsistencies, of whatever nature. One problem with ED's sims seems to be that new versions introduce clever features which unfortunately take quite some time to filter down to older aircraft or older parts of the sim (take the AFM, for example).

Good points there BBQ.

I am a newbie and i have especially dealt with the "set the alt for the airfield" issue. i have flown 5-6 missions in the A-10 campaign(those arent that tough but i havent flown the FC campaign yet with the T-Frog yet...) and i didnt get why the autopilot just kept on trying to crash me into the ground all the time. I did suspect that the autopilot was a distant relative to HAL9000 but now i know better...

I must say there is people that really want to help newbies with stuff like Ironhand but with diaper stage startup guide would be really excellent!

/Christian

What's this altimiter thing? Is that only in the 25T? (I dont fly that, so that's probobly why I don't know.)

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

That's some great advice given by some very skilled and talented Lock On Vet's .. And another thing that I personally find practically indispensable is the Lock On printed manual.. It really comes in handy when your flying a mission and need to look something up.. I find that I still need it sometimes myself...

It's not that expensive considering the wealth of information that's included ..

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Hi BBQ - these are all good points.

ED is making an attempt to increase the quality of the manual and training for the release of Black Shark.

We'll see what comes of it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Ok, that good. do tou know if it will have voiceovers for every aircraft? not just the A-10

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Ok, thanks.

Why are you updating your altimeter at different airbases? QNH changes are not modelled, so the altimeter always reads the correct above mean sea level altitude. This makes the sim MORE noob friendly. Changing it to read 0 on the ground makes no sense dude. The altimeter is meant to read your height above sea level, not the ground.

3Sqn - Largest distributor of Flanker, Fulcrum and Frogfoot parts in the Black Sea Region

Ok, that good. do tou know if it will have voiceovers for every aircraft? not just the A-10

I would gladly do some voiceovers if ED's interested (currently doing some VO work for the game project I'm writing for, Beyond the Red Line); if you want an easy southern/Texan accent, just look me up;)

I'd do them, but you'd have a 14 year old kids voice. Not a great idea for a hard core flight sim.

Why are you updating your altimeter at different airbases? QNH changes are not modelled, so the altimeter always reads the correct above mean sea level altitude. This makes the sim MORE noob friendly. Changing it to read 0 on the ground makes no sense dude. The altimeter is meant to read your height above sea level, not the ground.

In my experience, if you start on the runway, it will always read zero. You have to change it (that's why they have a key combination for it!). E.g. Majkop (sp) is 182 meters above sea level.

I learned of this through one of Ironhand's fantastic tutorials. Perhaps I misunderstood it though? :pilotfly:

I think that's the radar altimeter. that measures altitude above groung lever. (AGL)

Mr. Sven is right and might just I add that you are mixing 2 different types of altimeter settings in this conversation: QNH and QFE.

QFE is the barometric pressure at the station location or aerodrome elevation datum point.

QNH is the msl pressure derived from the barometric pressure at the station location by calculating the weight of an imaginary air column, extending from the location to sea level, assuming the temperature at the location is the ISA temperature for that elevation, the temperature lapse rate is ISA and the air is dry throughout the the column. (Read: setting which will cause the altimeter to read altitude above mean sea level within a certain defined region.)

For the radar altimiter it will read true AGL until you are above 1000 meters. Problem with radar altimiter is that it loves to "jump" while crossing uneven terrain (if you fly over a deep hole inside a hill or a valley for example it can tell you that you're flying above 1000 m but then few shorts moments after once reaching the edge of the valley for example it can tell you 30-40 metters and that jumps from 1000 so be careful. When my squadron flies we tend to learn the topographic maps and learn minimum safe altitudes...combining that with radar altimeter in a NOE flight is good enough.)

I remember the good old Flanker 2(and Su-27 Flanker 1.0 as well) came with a nice manual along with the CD. I was surprised when LOMAC was released without detailed manual, at least on the CD.

I'm glad this is about to change- expect HUGE manual for Black Shark.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Sweet.

I remember the good old Flanker 2(and Su-27 Flanker 1.0 as well) came with a nice manual along with the CD. I was surprised when LOMAC was released without detailed manual, at least on the CD.

I'm glad this is about to change- expect HUGE manual for Black Shark.