Adding Normal map to older AI aircraft?

Deano87

Hey Guys,

I'm currently painting a much improved skin for an old AI aircraft model. It doesn't seem to have a normal map (not surprising because of its age) is there any way to add one or would the material properties in 3DS need to be edited to make it work? (which I obviously couldn't do)

Cheers

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Not Possible to Add Specular or Normal Maps to Aircraft,

Requires the Source 3ds max File to add to Material Slot.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thanks for the clarification.:thumbup:

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Oh man, you gave up this too quickly. Where is your perseverance?

(the perseverance what is always pays off - maybe not today but later)

Who said I gave up?:thumbup: I'm still working on the skin but it just wont have normal and spec maps. Which will really limit how good I can make it look unfortunately. But honestly the original skin is so terrible these days that anything I do will be an improvement ;)

If it's not possible to add normal and spec maps then no amount of perseverance will change that.

Proud owner of:

you could prolly add a RoughMet, as it's not slotted in 3DS Max.

(Edit: Yes, You can Create a PBR RoughMet and ad to the Textures Archive, but it will not work for normals)

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

you could prolly add a RoughMet, as it's not slotted in 3DS Max.

(Edit: Yes, You can Create a PBR RoughMet and ad to the Textures Archive, but it will not work for normals)

Really?! That would be awesome.

I'll give it a go using your guide and see if it works! :D

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of: