How to utilize the formation lights properly for formation flying

Zyll

I’ve noticed that for a good bearing and altitude you want the wingtip light to be between and in line with the nose and tail lights. When you hold that position you are slightly lower than the lead and on a somewhat acceptable bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

I’ve noticed that for a good bearing and altitude you want the wingtip light to be between and in line with the nose and tail lights. When you hold that position you are slightly lower than the lead and on a somewhat acceptable bearing.

That's already been established, but it doesn't give you any cues on separation.

The only suggestion that's been offered (as far as I'm aware) is to take a mental note of the formation lights (presumably the ones on the tail and rear fuselage) during the day and position according to that. I'm not the only one who seems to think that's rather vague, and doesn't seem very plausible considering how strictly defined this business usually is.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

That's already been established, but it doesn't give you any cues on separation.

The only suggestion that's been offered (as far as I'm aware) is to take a mental note of the formation lights (presumably the ones on the tail and rear fuselage) during the day and position according to that. I'm not the only one who seems to think that's rather vague, and doesn't seem very plausible considering how strictly defined this business usually is.

Oh good. I didn’t see anyone specifically mention that. As far as separation goes I believe you’re right. I don’t think there is any source of light that will give you closure distance on formation lights. Just bearing and height.

I use the wingtip light instead since it’s the most protruding light for estimating separation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

• 5 years later...

I've made some pictures for you.

Basically lineup the three horizontal lights. The middle (wingtip) light tells you if you are acute (ahead) or sucked (behind). Put the wingtip light in between the nose and tail light. If the wingtip light is high, your position is low and vice-versa. The vertical light on the vertical stabilator helps to give you a sense of distance and orientation.

See the file names for an explanation. File names got changed... editing to help...

OK:

\
  -   =   -

Sucked:

\
  -     = -

Acute:
\
  - =     -

Low:

\     =
  -       -

High:
\
  -       -
      =

For info: I am not a military pilot, just sharing with you how I do it.

Sucked.jpg

Far.jpg

Near - Gamma high.jpg

Near - Gamma low.jpg

Stepped down.jpg

Stepped up.jpg

Sucked.jpg

Acute.jpg

Edited by Fresh
  • Thanks 5

11 hours ago, Fresh said:

I've made some pictures for you.

Basically lineup the three horizontal lights. The middle (wingtip) light tells you if you are acute (ahead) or sucked (behind). Put the wingtip light in between the nose and tail light. If the wingtip light is high, your position is low and vice-versa. The vertical light on the vertical stabilator helps to give you a sense of distance and orientation.

See the file names for an explanation. File names got changed... editing to help...

OK:

\
  -   =   -

Sucked:

\
  -     = -

Acute:
\
  - =     -

Low:

\     =
  -       -