PN-79 IFF radio separate from transponder?

Oh boy first post.

As far as I am aware the IFF system for the Viggen is not currently implemented, and probably won't be unless ED decides to expand the game's IFF mechanics. Unfortunately, that hasn't prevented me from agonizing over what the cockpit controls for the IFF system are and how they work. So I've been scouring the forum trying to dig up as much information as I could on the Viggen's IFF, and there isn't much. However I think I've been able to piece together what the IFF/transponder panel actually does, and I would appreciate a sanity check.

k523rda.png

According to the current revision of the Heatblur Viggen manual, page 26, the red box is called the "transponder control panel" and the blue circle is called the "IFF control panel". Later in the manual, page 41-42, the blue circle is referred to as the "IFF transponder indicator". This heavily implies to me that the IFF system is separate from a transponder system, and given the panel's layout said transponder is a standard 4 digit system like you would find in any modern commercial aircraft.

This is further supported by Toertchen's translations of the checklists from the actual aircraft manual. In the startup checklist there are separate steps for the IFF radio and the transponder, where the IFF radio is turned on but the transponder is kept off, which suggests they are two different things. I have no idea how to turn the IFF radio on if this is the case though, as I can't find a separate switch for it.

Does anyone else know anything about the IFF/transponder system?

Yes, the IFF and the transponder are separate systems. What you've marked in red is a completely bog standard civilian SSR transponder. It has nothing to do with the IFF system at all - it's exclusively used for the benefit of civilian ATC.

What you've marked in blue is a simple indicator light (actually not sure if the thing in blue is the light or if it's actually the green circle below it). It lights up when the IFF system is responding to a query, or blinks in a certain pattern if the IFF self-test fails. The actual controls for the IFF system are two knobs below the external lightning controls (far back on the right side) - there's one FRÅN/TILL knob that turns the IFF system on and off, and one knob with 11 numbered positions that sets the query/response code.

That's pretty much all I know. Hope it helps.

Regarding its implementation in DCS, I'm sure you have probably already seen the following quote from Cobra, but I would like to share it here, before other readers here wonder and ask how about it:

When we developed the Viggen we actually developed a simple transponder based IFF challenge/reply system. The issue is that it's.. well, useless in the context of DCS because the only aircraft equipped with this level of detail would be the Viggen.

I believe we deactivated the code and the IFF panel buttons work but do not do anything.

Wags has announced as part of the Hornet development, that a more sophisticated IFF simulation will be implemented in DCS eventually. I really miss this feature for quite a while now (I've started a thread about it 2 years ago here) and hope its implementation won't take too long now.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The IFF Panel

Hi!! You find the IFF panel on the right hand side panel in the cockpit. The panel is marked with number 24 Manöverpanel IK-Utrustning. There are two knobs. The left one says FRÅN or OFF position and TILL or ON Position. The right knob is marked with numbers from 1-11 and there you set the code. The IK lamp or IFF lamp supervise the function of the IFF or IK which is the name for it in Swedish.

65124506_Viggenpanelhger.thumb.png.500e11cf557d49c5550d84c24b1b035a.png

Yes, the IFF and the transponder are separate systems. What you've marked in red is a completely bog standard civilian SSR transponder. It has nothing to do with the IFF system at all - it's exclusively used for the benefit of civilian ATC.

What you've marked in blue is a simple indicator light (actually not sure if the thing in blue is the light or if it's actually the green circle below it). It lights up when the IFF system is responding to a query, or blinks in a certain pattern if the IFF self-test fails. The actual controls for the IFF system are two knobs below the external lightning controls (far back on the right side) - there's one FRÅN/TILL knob that turns the IFF system on and off, and one knob with 11 numbered positions that sets the query/response code.

That's pretty much all I know. Hope it helps.

Thanks, that pretty much confirms what I have figured out. This also means that Chuck's guide has the transponder mislabeled as an "IFF transponder", which confused me for quite a bit.

On a separate note, is that an english cockpit?

Yeah, that's Devrim's english cockpit mod. It's great, but it also means all the checklists and the manual don't match the labels in the cockpit anymore, which can make things tricky.

Hi!! You find the IFF panel on the right hand side panel in the cockpit. The panel is marked with number 24 Manöverpanel IK-Utrustning. There are two knobs. The left one says FRÅN or OFF position and TILL or ON Position. The right knob is marked with numbers from 1-11 and there you set the code. The IK lamp or IFF lamp supervise the function of the IFF or IK which is the name for it in Swedish.

Thanks! I'm not sure how I overlooked that panel but that is exactly what I was trying to find!