Track-IR Stutter fix petition at Natural point's forum

I just wanted to show the settings that worked for me, after an unhealthy time researching, tweaking and testing. The stutters that I was getting made DCS unplayable for me...Now it runs super smooth:

• autoconfig set to cap 60 options.graphics.maxfps = 60
  • graphics.lua delete max fps line
  • nvidia inspector lock frames at 60, framerate limiter mode = Limiter V2 - AllowAll
  • monitor @ 120Hz, GSync ON (Ultrawide 3440x1440)
  • NVIDIA Control panel = Max power performance

With these settings I can fly above 10 feet off of the treeline in Georgia, with numerous units in the ground and air.

My specs are in my signature. Hopefully this could help someone!

Hi dscamp,

I have very similar PC spec to yours as well as G-sync 120Hz ultrawide LCD with the same specs LCD Alienware aw3418dw. I play DCS at the same settings as you at 60 FPS without stuttering. Using TrackIR is smooth but I see unpleasant ghosting (or let's say visible lagging) while the scene is moving due to the low FPS. My eyes tolerate 80+ FPS but 60 is too low for me and causes eyestrain for me...

I tried different levels of smoothing in TrackIR and higher TrackIR speed (speed 1.5+ helps a little) but I am still not satisfied.

I can set a limit to 80 FPS via RivaTuner (and most of the time game manage to hold it) and then visible ghosting is gone but then using trackIR is not so smooth but a little jerky (stuttery) which is annoying. That is known TrackIR issue - see HERE

Do you notice ghosting? Maybe the visible ghosting is caused by slower IPS technology (comparing to TN)?

I would like to play at 80 FPS but it is apparently not possible due to TrackIR low frequency causing stutters.

Steady 120FPS IMHO would not be possible in the near future even with new 3080Ti cards, so I am a little bit stuck how to get fluent scene without ghosting and stuttering while using TrackIR...

Also, I did not succeed to found out any other 6DOF solution on the market that is not bound exclusively to 60/120Hz (EDTracker is good but unfortunately it is only 3DOF)

Any tips welcomed :-)

Edited by tapi

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

Díky petsilde, zkoušel jsem si s tím o víkendu hrát. Závěr napíšu anglicky, aby to bylo i pro ostatní tady na foru.

I tried many different settings and my conclusion is this:

Utmost importance for the smooth view with TrackIR is exactly(!) 60 FPS. The tip in the post above gives more precise sync with the least lag, but because the most precise sync is not exactly 60 (but something like 59,803 for me), TrackIR gives me still not ultra-smooth experience. I think the precise sync is amazing for games without TrackIR (like FPS games etc.) but with TrackIR, it does not work best for me. But still I am curious if am I not missing something...

Then I tried this:

a) Cap FPS to 60 with RTSS, set G-sync OFF and set Vsync ON but then I get tearing.

b) Cap FPS to 60 with RTSS, set G-sync ON and Vsync ON but then my FPS (thanks to vSync) fluctuate from 59 to 61 and so view with TrcakIR still is not completely smooth all the time

c) Cap FPS to 60 with RTSS, set G-sync ON and set Vsync OFF - the best result for me. FPS seems to stay precisely on 60 FPS most of the time, so view seems to be very smooth. Thanks to the very smooth view, ghosting due to low FPS [yes 60 FPS is low for me :-)] is much less annoying.

As for the TrackIR settings I finally settled to:

Speed = 1,5 (more speed = less noticeable ghosting)

Smoothing = 6. Note: just for viewing Smoothing = 2 would be better, but I use Z-axis for external zoom and the too low smoothing causes zoom a little bit jerky. Set it to 6 and zoom is much smoother.

With this settings I tried SP and MP a was fairly satisfied.

Edited by tapi

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit