Why is the AOA indication so high ?

Flow

General question concerning the F-15, because I have noticed that in real HUD videos, Jane's F-15, and so on...

This seems to be true for all F-15 variants (C/E...)

When going really fast and low, which should not need a lot of AOA in order to create enough lift for level flying, the AOA indicator shows 12°.

The FPM is right under the waterline, and not far away from the gun cross. Maybe 1 to 2° under the waterline, and 3-4° maximum under the gun cross.

AOA indicator still shows 12° though.

Is there a reason for the AOA indication to always be so high ? Even though the FPM shows an AOA of maybe 2° under the waterline ?

i7 7700k • 1080Ti • 32GB @ 3200 MHz • 525GB M.2 • Oculus Rift

Warthog + Pro Flight

Kind of found my own answer :

"The AOA indicators do not display absolute angles of attack, but are arbitrary units grouped around the optimum with specific areas of interest. These are stall warning and optimum approach and they are depicted on the face of the instrument as special indices. While on the ground, the AOA system will not represent any particular angle of attack..."

So the AOA indication is actually units, which seems to be completely arbitrary and airframe dependant. Interesting.

i7 7700k • 1080Ti • 32GB @ 3200 MHz • 525GB M.2 • Oculus Rift

Warthog + Pro Flight