How to properly set up a Lan server

dpj463

It seems most of what I can find on this subject is 2 years old or more.

The menus that are referenced are different than exists today...so........ here is my current state:

I have 3 computers on a home network with static IP addresses

I have 3 different accounts setup up with DCS, one for each computer.

I have 3 copies of FC3 and P51 modules purchased and installed on each computer.

I have 3 inexpensive hotas setup at each computer.

Now I would like to have my buds come over and fly together in a simple mission that would allow us to learn to fly together....formation, etc. Also would like to get some practice together with air to air and air to ground scenarios.

I believe I understand enough to use mission editor to come up with a simple mission to accomplish this.

My problem is, I do not know how to get a Lan server up and running with this simplified mission and also how to get the other two pcs to log into this server.

Any help or links to tutorials for the latest versions of DCS would be appreciated.

thanks

Gigabyte Z390 mobo, i9-9900K, 32gb ram, GTX 2080 ti, Evo 970 nvme 1tb, 2 DSD button box OSW panels, Oculus Rift CV1, Odyssey Plus, Valve Index, Rift S, HP Reverb, 2 SimRacingStudio wind sim fans, MFG Crosswind pedals, Warthog hotas w 50mm extension, Simlab GT1 EVOcockpit, Gametrix Jet Seat, SFX-100 3DOF motion, 8 transducers, 2 Cougar MFD's

DCS World, Simshaker for Aviators, sound module

Modules: P51, F/18, All Rotor craft, F14, F16, FC3

Super Carrier

Question? Are you trying to setup a dedicated server that anyone can join, or are you simply trying to host a multiplayer session so you and your group can fly together? Ones far more complex then the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am simply trying to host a multiplayer session that me and my two friends can fly together.

Gigabyte Z390 mobo, i9-9900K, 32gb ram, GTX 2080 ti, Evo 970 nvme 1tb, 2 DSD button box OSW panels, Oculus Rift CV1, Odyssey Plus, Valve Index, Rift S, HP Reverb, 2 SimRacingStudio wind sim fans, MFG Crosswind pedals, Warthog hotas w 50mm extension, Simlab GT1 EVOcockpit, Gametrix Jet Seat, SFX-100 3DOF motion, 8 transducers, 2 Cougar MFD's

Super Carrier

Ok, you will only need one computer running the mission as a host. The others will join the mission through normal internet connection. On the computer that is hosting go into your router and make sure you port forward using 10308 and the reserved IP address. Important, the static ip and the port forward ip has to be the same or the other computers won’t see the mission in multiplayer. Once thats setup, then you only need to host the mission on the host computer. You will have to start DCS and create a new server before they will be able to join it. I will post those instructions to follow.

You will need to go into multiplayer, then at the bottom select the middle option “new server”. Then once the new server screen comes up, fill the info in on the top left side (that will be server name and you want a pass word, player limit and your public ip. etc...

The right side of the screen is called the “mission list”. At the bottom of the right side select the + symbol, that will open a window for you to load the mission. So navigate to your created mission location, select it, then select ok. If done correctly you should see your custom mission added to the mission list (top right). Once you see that, then select “start” in the lower right corner. That will start your server, once it’s loaded up- Tell your team mates the server name, they should be able to go into multiplayer and see it in the list. Select it, join and have fun. If they don’t see it at first tell them to refresh a couple time. Also very important MAKE SURE YOUR RUNNING THE SAME RELEASE or OPEN BETA VERSION. You can check that on the main screen in the lower right corner after you first load.

Hope all that helps!

If you don't want other people from internet join your mission, you can uncheck "public server" on the machine that you are going to use as host/server.

hPk7iKmRXA71tEWd5abGMpa2fCR6dm.png

Then on other two clients pc, go on multiplayer and click connect by IP button, and then type the local IP address of the host pc.

This is the best way to create a LAN party on DCS.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

Thanks for all the help.

I made a simple mission and can fly that mission by myself. THen I went to multiplayer and set up a new server. The other two computers can see it and join.

I have probably got something set up wrong but nobody can proceed any further!

All three computers load up into the cockpit on the runway. THere is what appears to be a flashing pause symbol in the upper right hand corner of the screen. No controls work and no sound. I cannot find a way to get past this.

I know,,,noob question....but any ideas on how to proceed?

thanks

Super Carrier

Thanks for all the help.

I made a simple mission and can fly that mission by myself. THen I went to multiplayer and set up a new server. The other two computers can see it and join.

I have probably got something set up wrong but nobody can proceed any further!

All three computers load up into the cockpit on the runway. THere is what appears to be a flashing pause symbol in the upper right hand corner of the screen. No controls work and no sound. I cannot find a way to get past this.

I know,,,noob question....but any ideas on how to proceed?

thanks

To remove the pause symbol and get the game going, you (the host) have to press "Pause" on your keyboard.

Because the break function is usually combined with the pause function on one key since the introduction of the IBM Model M 101-key keyboard in 1985, the Break key is also called the Pause key. It can be used to pause some computer games.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

To remove the pause symbol and get the game going, you (the host) have to press "Pause" on your keyboard.

thanks!!!

Super Carrier

Again thanks for all the help guys. I finally got everything up and running. The biggest hassle was having to go back to an old keyboard because my wireless logitech KB does not have a break/pause key. I tried programming a function key to do this but the game would not recognize it....

Can't wait for the buds to come over and fly......

Super Carrier

Again thanks for all the help guys. I finally got everything up and running. The biggest hassle was having to go back to an old keyboard because my wireless logitech KB does not have a break/pause key. I tried programming a function key to do this but the game would not recognize it....

Can't wait for the buds to come over and fly......

When you are going to start-up the host/server machine, click on the ADVANCED button and select an option like resume on load or resume with clients

Be aware of possible DCS bugs like this using this option and "complex" mission: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=228286

knrrx8OUFIvCJvjiPpvM8x9mf0Vm0f.png

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

• 2 years later...

Hi guys,

I'm also trying to setup a 2 computers playground behind a router and whatever combinations I tried so far, all I get is :"Address unavailable"! My port forwarding is correctly set up as other online players seem to join flawlessly on my server and mission, but if I want to have a friend join the same mission from a second laptop connected to the same router, he's unable to do so. No matter if he selects the mission from the mission list (where it's visible to the whole internet and from where other people join) or uses "connect by IP" using either the local IP (192.168.100.30) or the internet IP, he only gets the same answer: Address unavailable. Any idea of what might be wrong? Thank you!

Good knowledge and common sense make the absurd run for defense.

Flying has always been a great interest for mankind, yet learning everything about it brought the greatest challenge!

• 6 months later...
On 4/27/2021 at 2:55 PM, 85th_Maverick said:

Hi guys,

I'm also trying to setup a 2 computers playground behind a router and whatever combinations I tried so far, all I get is :"Address unavailable"! My port forwarding is correctly set up as other online players seem to join flawlessly on my server and mission, but if I want to have a friend join the same mission from a second laptop connected to the same router, he's unable to do so. No matter if he selects the mission from the mission list (where it's visible to the whole internet and from where other people join) or uses "connect by IP" using either the local IP (192.168.100.30) or the internet IP, he only gets the same answer: Address unavailable. Any idea of what might be wrong? Thank you!

I got the dredded "address unavailible" message, ran out of ideas and checked the logs.

2021-11-05 10:40:31.391 INFO NET: disconnected: 102 The callsign is already taken.

Do NOT give your obeserver the same callsign as the one you are using on the client. 

Check the logs on the client, and you should get an idea about what is going on.

Btw, this https://teamwadafak.com/how-to-run-dcs-dedicated-server-on-linux/ works, like a charm.

Only for the whole installing wine part I used:
https://wine.htmlvalidator.com/install-wine-on-ubuntu-18.04.html

Just install the server as described, and change the winecfg accordingly. 

The commands to create the system links are useless because of used characters (quotes and what not), I used this for the plugin:

ln -s ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Eagle\ Dynamics/DCS\ World\ OpenBeta\ Server/bin/webrtc_plugin.dll ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Eagle\ Dynamics/DCS\ World\ OpenBeta\ Server/webrtc_plugin.dll

This for the updater:

WINEARCH="win64" WINEDLLOVERRIDES="wbemprox=n" WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/ wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Eagle\ Dynamics/DCS\ World\ OpenBeta\ Server/bin/DCS_updater.exe

I don't need the DCS.exe to start the server, in fact, it doesn't even work (login fails for some reason after which the process grenades). The updater however works, does its thing and starts the server successfuly when it is done. So I edited the command line of shortcut of DCS.exe on the desktop and put the executing statement of the updater in it.

I'm running the server on a i3, 2.8 GHZ, 8 gig internal memory lenovo mini PC with Kubuntu 18.04 installed.

Edited by Vandaahl