F-15 Prototype Livery - found

Andrew8604

I found a livery for the prototype F-15A (intended for the F-15C) that seems to work and look just fine. It is located in the DCS website Downloads under User Files, filtered for Game: DCS World 1.5. It was uploaded by "8117devin". I don't know how to contact that person to request a modification.

The livery of subject here seems to be a neutral light gray with somewhat faded day-glow orange. It looks really good, except that the gray should really be a slightly faded tone of Air Superiority Blue FS 35450.

Is there anyone here that can modify that livery (skin) to change the gray to Air Superiority Blue [maybe just slightly faded]? And if so, can you also make a livery without the orange in the 'Air Superiority Blue' scheme...such as 73-090 of the 555th TFTS at Luke AFB with the white "LA" tail code, from the late 1970's?

1280px-F-15A_first_prototype_2.thumb.jpg.29a44f5cb9da807177db18913c632ec1.jpg

McDonnell-Douglas-F-15A-8-MC-Eagle-73-0090-Air-Superiority-Blue-.thumb.jpg.7ccda07368790e592ff1ad318fe3501b.jpg

1247063587_F-15C-PrototypeLivery.png.5ba68d2d812c75c41dc3fa1e4f8653a3.png

Edited by Andrew8604
Add photo
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Im a bit of a prototype skin fan myself. Spent most of my trial period time in the Hornet flying it's prototype skin. Wasn't aware that the Eagle had one as well. Thanks for pointing that out. I created a skin using the color you mentioned above and named it "F-15 Prototype Skin V2". I was the best I could do without having to start completely from scratch.

screen1.jpg

• Like 1

I figured out how to change the color of the skin to air superiority blue, removing the dark ghost gray from the DCS paint kit template, and adding the US insignia without the blue border.  But no AF number or tail code.  I don't have a picture handy to show, though.  I modified a skin for the F-5E in air superiority blue, too.  I think it looks pretty sharp in that color.

Yours looks pretty good.  Did you fade the orange?  It looks more faded/weathered.  That still looks like ghost gray instead of air superiority blue, though.  But it's subtle and hard to tell for sure.  I should dig back into it and make one with a "fresh" paint job of day-glo orange and air-superiority blue.  I think it was that orange.  This was "my plane" back in the 70s when I was about 8 years old. 🙂  I still can't believe I get to sit in it and fly it...in DCS.

I basically created a copy of the original as a second layer. Then added the new(more intense) color and reduced the opacity so that the weathering, bolds, seams etc. from the original image would still be visible. From there I just tried to find the right balance between opacity & brightness. To answer your question, yes, I had to fade the orange area in addition to the other areas as 2 layers of orange was...well..too orangie.

Edited by Go_dzilla