Drag Bombs in FF mode

Topper81

Hello,

should the HUD in CCIP mode show the corect impact point of a drag bomb if it is used in "free fall mode" (If drag fuze is "FF")?

I gues it's always showing the impact point for "drag mode" but I don't know if it's realistic or if it's a bug...

Last time I tried dropping a Mk-82 Snake Eye in FF mode it opened the tail fins as well .. i.e. just ignored the setting. As far as I'm aware dropping them in low drag mode should be an option, I guess it's just not implemented properly yet.

I don't know about earlier, but selecting FF now certainely has the BSU-86 not deploy, ie. the bombs are really deployed as low-drag. However, as OP said, the impact point is still computed as for a high-drag release. This is probably work in progress.

As a side note, I'd like to mention quickly that not all Mk-82 Snakeyes are capable of having drag mode selected in flight (older Mk.15 kits couldn't - although all can be selected for low-drag release on the ground from my undersanding), and all bomb racks do not allow this to work either, so even with a BSU-86 it's not a given that you can have the pilot option.

This being said, as the selection actually works in the F/A-18C, this means we have both BSU-86 fins and ZRF racks to use pilot option. This might not be true for other aircraft, though (the AV-8B comes to mind, although my guess is they will also include it later - at the moment the fins always deploy from the Harrier).

• 4 years later...

Hello,

I haven't seen anything about it recently. It has been reported a long time ago (2019) here:

Both AUTO and CCIP modes with high drag bombs are showing RET release cue while in FF mode. It is therefore impossible to use them in FF...
I thought that it was not always the case, but I might be wrong.
Could we have the correct FF ballistics when in FF mode?

Thanks!

.trk here: https://disk.yandex.com/d/wb8QdKr_z1dCgw

Edited by El Chapo

• El Chapo changed the title to Wrong aiming cue with high drag bombs in free fall mode
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know the CCIP/CCRP system with the hornet has been an issue in the past but I’m still having major issues and -before I post a track file- I’m interested in whether others are as well.

playing an instant action mission w/hot start. Modern day (so GPS and no INS issue). I have mk82SE but dropping in Freefall mode. I see the target out in front and designate it with the HUD “meatball”. I move the designator more precisely onto the target building and press TDC Depress again. 

By the time the timer counts down and releases the bombs, I am WELL past the target. Like, I’m flying over the designated point when the timer is still at 10 seconds. I tried multiple times to undesignate and redesignate other targets but it always releases when I’m well past
(I tried CCIP and even dropping at low altitude, it was also inaccurate but that could be the retarded bombs in FF mode )

I’ve been flying the hornet since 2019. I don’t have any issues when I designate the target with a TGP or WPDSG. I can drive tacks in the F-16 and I’ve also cleared my FXO & Metashader files but I’ve always had this issue.

hiw about you guys? Any idea if I’m doing something wrong? 

3 hours ago, Canada_Moose said:

Your issue is drag bombs in freefall mode. See linked post.

Don't know why this is marked as 'cannot reproduce' its already confirmed.

Habit. Sometime I think that answer is thrown in there b/c there have been several times I had an issue, gotten the “sorry…all Ok on our end” only to see a “fix” days later in a patch or to see the bug confirmed

BUT….thank you! That’s why I post even if I don’t have a track. Many times someone on here knows what I did wrong or the issue even if I’m told “can’t reproduce”.