Oculus Rift -- Double picture fast moving objects

mcdaniels

Hi there,

i have read a lot of threads, concerning the rift and imagequality. The only problem for me is, that when I am flying and some plane passes at high speed (head on, or from side to side) there is a double picture of the plane.

The second "picture" is a little bit lighter.

All in all it is not sharp, no ... it is doubled.

If the plane moves away, it is sharp again.

Seems to me that it only happens when something passes you at high spead (and very near).

I also played around with AFW, supersampling, Oculustraytool, Oculusdebugtool... It is not going any better.

So, is this normal?

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X at 3.4GhZ

16GB DDR4 RAM

SSD 512 GB

Gigabyte Gforce GTX - 1070 (latest Nvidia driver) -> happened also with the older driver!

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X@ 4Ghz, 32GB RAM, SSD, Gforce RTX 2080 8GB.

Pull up oculus tray tool, choose "application render time" in the visual hud, hop into your plane and see what your GPU and CPU render times are running. ASW auto.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

I notice that effect too, I switch between ASW modes to get rid of it. With OTT installed, I wonder why it doesn´t work on your computer.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Get that GPU render time under 22.2ms.

PD and MSAA primarily affect GPU render time, take a look at them. Remember, PD is supersampling, don't make two or three passes at that. Between PD, SS in the oculus tray tool, and say steam supersampling, pick ONE.

WIth your GPU, I would suggest

-- vis range medium

-- trees medium

-- shadows off

-- PD 1.2

Clear your fxo and metashaders folders, fire it up and see how it runs. You should have enough room to add in a little MSAA if you want, or nudge the PD higher if you prefer that. Or maybe some shadows. Doubt you can do all three though.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

So sorry for the late feedback. I tried almost everything now.

Pushed down PD to 0.5 (lowest), switched all other things to low, MSAA off, Supersampling 0

Switched ASW off.

If a FW passes me head on (flying in a P51), passing on the right or left I can see 3 FW 190 (one in the middle (dark) , one in front of the dark and one behind the dark one. The faster the object passes, the bader it gets...

If I switch on ASW then the obove mentioned effect is not that bad, but it looks like that the FW has got "flapping" wings, when passing me.

Very annoying, really!

Tried different Nvidiadrivers too...

Don't know what I can do now, because I am out of ideas. :-(

Well folks,

if you watch this one:

you can see that even on high end hardware there are tons of framedrops.

So I am afraid, no matter what I set up, it will not be smooth in any way... :-(