Using the Tomcat as a trainer?

Shoot2maim

I pre-ordered back in Christmas as this looks to be the best module yet, and I have to admit I really love the look of the aircraft with it's sleek, ultra clean lines, but I have to admit that I am a bit intimidated, only being used to more modern, fly-by-wire planes before this, and the F-14 tomcat seems like it's piss.poor for more inexperienced pilots. I was wondering about something, though. It seems like it would be a great ad-hoc trainer, and I was curious if anyone else out there might be using it for such and willing to teach any eager students about this beast?

I think its an excellent choice for a trainer. What with the Jester assisted start-ups, and back-seat functionality in addition to being mostly analogue.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

It's a sim. Press the "fly again" button if it goes bad.

In all sincerity though, it won't have as many systems as most modern fighters so itll be great for basics like navigation while not getting complex with HARMs or sub menu items.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Oh yeah, I'm aware! I fully intend to have fun with it. I was more wondering if any future pilots were interested in the idea of getting together to help teach newer flyers some of the ropes, especially as this also seems like it's going to be the most capable multi-crewed fighter for a while.

Oh for sure man. Check the link in my signature. The 14 group is looking for pilots and rio's. Training is part of the game.

Look for Kez in the Discord. He's the guy running that crew.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

In my experience the f14 is very easy to fly but hard to master it dint take me to long to get the basics I even find traps on the carrier easier than the fa18 for instance

You'll be fine she'll look after you, but also bit you when you least expecting it :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Compared to a Century Series fighter with slow responding engine or an F-4 Phantom hanging on it's engines to land, the B model Tomcat is tons more forgiving to fly slow.

F-104: 180 kts. over the threshold at a slight nose high and > 60% thrust or it falls from the sky like a brick...now that is nuts! :D

The thread that Victory205 started was really helpful and in a way reassuring! "You have 0ver 100 kts...you are still flying" was such great advice when I let the F-14 stall...and kept me patient and let it nose over.

Watch all the great videos and read...in time you will be growing your moustache for your carrier quals!