Zoom view when using Mavericks

captflyby

I'm sure this would apply to any weapon system where we have to use the TV/DDI view for targeting...

The other night we were training and I was attempting to lock on an IR Maverick to a target. The location of the target was unkown. You have to "hunt" for it on the screen.

The problem I am having is that all the "target" potentials look like little specs, even when the FOV is zoomed IN.

By the time you are close enough to distinguish the objects, you are low enough to get shot down easily or too low to then fire on the target you can now recognize.

I also forgot to mention I was VR and was also zoomed in in VR mode, which adds to the challenge.

Is there a way to go, ex. F2 to see the potential site and a way to zoom in close to identify the target in DCS, like we do with the MAP feature, not having to rely on the "zoom" in the aircraft DDI itself.

I realize the answer is good advance takeoff intell. Identify your target prior to departure. But mission planning doesn't always go the way you wish it would, you are stuck with flying blind and hunt/pecking for a speck while trying not to die in the process. I'm sure its true to life, but in a game, there's got to be a better way?

I did ask this of the mission planners. Their response was that I shouldn't have taken the mavericks. Totally not the issue. Maverick or no, there has to be a better way that hunting & pecking amid all the same little dots on the ground to identify a radar installation.

Edited by captflyby

A-10s back in the Gulf War would use the Maverick's seeker head as a 'poor-man's' targeting pod to find stuff in the desert. So it's completely not outside of the realm of reality to use a Maverick for visual aid when better means are unavailable.

In the case of the mission planners, their response is invalid. In light of not having access to a proper TGP, taking a Maverick is far more suitable than not taking anything. That's not to say that Mk.I Eyeball isn't a valid spotting tool, but it's far more dangerous having to get closer for a VID.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Thanks guys for the response. I thought so. But its good to have theories validated from time to time.

Add on:

I note for others, since my post, I found out that you can log into the map, when on a mission, go to the SAT image, and it should show you all your targets while in flight. You can then get coordinates of the one(s) you are looking for and program them in while on your way to the target(s). BUT...this will only work if the mission planner has allowed you to "see" the targets on the map. If they don't show up, then you are back to hunting and pecking.

Edited by captflyby