Question on VR for an one eyed pilot

DutchCoolHand

As I have mentioned here before I am 85% blind in my left eye. I have been practicing AAR a lot and with all the tips I am able to approach nice and stable but I can't get on the basket. I wonder if I have an additional handicap. when flying using VR I think there is more depth perception than when using a monitor. I think that I have a harder time to connect because of having wrong depth perception. If I watch Jabbbers video on AAR with the F14 he states he puts the heading caret on the refueling pod. In my case, if I do that I am off not close to the basket. Could this be because i only see one projection and am off because of it?

I am not an expert on how VR works when it comes to projection. Does anyone have a better understanding?

Thanks

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

Question on VR for an one eyed pilot

Yes and no buddy, AAR is one of the most challenging task in DCS, I can do AAR in the AV8B but not always. A new feature, air stream from the refueling aircraft made this task a little more challenging and I could not make AAR in the F14 yet. Keep practicing.

You need to find your own land mark in the refueling plane, most of the video in YouTube are in flat screen and your single eye point of view is little different.

Im an M. D. so if you want we can talk a little more about this in discord and I will be glad to help you, my nickname is ArturoJGT #2556.

Killing time in the bathroom, honey bring me some matches...fewwwwww.

Edited by arturojgt

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

Thank you Arturo. I was just wondering. I am quite used to it in real life when I fly. I will keep practising.

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

What's AAR ?

when flying using VR I think there is more depth perception than when using a monitor

On VR, you have a lot of depth perception for close objects, like in real life, but it's related to binaural vision, so in your case I don't know if this will be true.

For far objects, seeing them on real scale helps also to make you an idea of how far it is.

Edited by cercata

Agree with cercata, the depth perception would probably require binaural vision. But it doesn't matter as people can still do AAR on flat screen. Just make sure you are looking at the tanker as a whole, allowing your eye to decode the change of distance from the change of the tanker size. You don't really need any reference point.

Check this out:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=236828

i9-9900K, G.Skill 3200 32GB RAM, AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi, Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512G + 860 Pro 1T, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, Samsung O+

F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, UH-1, AV-8B, F-14, JF-17, FC3, SA342 Gazelle, L-39, KA-50, CEII, Supercarrier Preordered. (Almost abandoned: CA - VR support please?)

PG, NTTR

If Jabbers is doing the AAR in VR and the visual reference he's using isn't working out for you, that could possibly be because his dominant eye is the opposite of your good eye.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Thanks, everyone! Last night I did a long flight as number 2 so that I can get more used to formation flying and seeing the changes and respond to them. One thing I notice is that I never have the right trim. I know that in the F14 you have to trim constantly but if I make no change to power or stick input or trim the plane should stabilize. At least that is what they do in real life. What I see is that I can't get the plane trimmed, it requires one click of trim up let's say, which should level it and immediately the nose up stronger. so let's add 2 clicks down to stop the nose from going down. I know that IRL you put the nose on the horizon and see what the plane does and use trim to correct it. but in the F14 I can't seem to get it right. I bring up the controls view and I can see the inputs. nothing strange there.

Engage the autopilot when you have your decider speed, it will trim the plane perfectly, switch off and you have a perfectly trimmed aircraft for the current speed.

Killing time in the bathroom, honey bring me some matches...fewwwwww.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

I will try that Arturo