More weapon for the f-14B?

DarkStar79

A barn is not a small target at all. A vehicle or a tunnel entrance is a small target. But the INS accuracy of the Tomcat isn't even precise enough to hit a barn, especially not after flying for some time.

Technically, you'd just need to drop the JDAM in general direction of the target in case the coordinates are entered into it before the flight. Once the weapon's guidance system locks on to the GPS signal, it will correct and guide itself (given sufficient flight time, naturally) regardless of the INS errors on the launching airplane.

But, I guess you're referring to the pure INS mode of the JDAM, in which case, yes, of course, that would probably be rather useless with the original F-14 INS.

It's all theoretical anyway, since the F-14B we have has no digital bus, so it would require some electronic equipment and hacks to program the aircraft's INS data into the weapon to begin with.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Here's an interesting master's thesis describing the integration of JDAMs on the F-14B: https://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3487&context=utk_gradthes (rule 1.16 compliant)

It was posted on the first page already.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!