[RESOLVED] RWR giving lock launch warnings from hundreds of miles away

MPK

I don't believe that the radar on the SU-27/MiG-29 are powerful enough to track a tomcat from these ranges, especially not when I am on the ship:

LZtNbKu.jpg

Edited by IronMike

So what is most likely happening here is that there is a plane between you and the mig/su that they are engaging. You are simply within the beam of the enemy radar. Remember the radar scans in a cone shape so at range the volume of the tracking beam can be massive. This happens a lot in multiplayer with Sam's and some a-a.

So what is most likely happening here is that there is a plane between you and the mig/su that they are engaging. You are simply within the beam of the enemy radar. Remember the radar scans in a cone shape so at range the volume of the tracking beam can be massive. This happens a lot in multiplayer with Sam's and some a-a.

I've gotten locked, constantly, while sitting in a hardened aircraft shelter on multiple online servers. So you're saying that I'm somehow always perfectly in line with dog fights happening over 100nm away, and that buildings and terrain don't matter?

I don't think so. I strongly believe it's a bug.

It’s a long-standing and known DCS bug.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Yep +1

It's the elephant in the room.

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

It's not entirely a bug. The radar beams could be narrower, but yes, your RWR will show some false information, because it doesn't inform you that you are locked or there's a missile flying towards you. It rather tells you that it is sniffing a radar wave which it's recognized as a lock, or as missile guidance, or whatever the EM signal is. The target of this radar signal might be someone else and you might be in a side lobe, or you might be hit by a signal deflected from something.

I recommend this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=237416

The bottom line is: it's ok but it will be even more correct/realistic with the new beam shape emulation we will introduce in one of the next updates.

And finally some important words about the RWR:

Edited by Super Grover

Krzysztof Sobczak

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Interesting vid, was that an F4? And that's really good news about the update! :D

Edited by |DUSTY|

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

After playing several more nights and closely observing the F10 map (and tacview after each flight) I am convinced the issue is that I am getting other people's RWR indications. If an enemy locks or launches on another friendly, I get an RWR indication, no matter how far away I am.

Does this sound like the known bug you are referring to?

After playing several more nights and closely observing the F10 map (and tacview after each flight) I am convinced the issue is that I am getting other people's RWR indications. If an enemy locks or launches on another friendly, I get an RWR indication, no matter how far away I am.

Does this sound like the known bug you are referring to?

Yes, exactly.

Radar search beams cast a very wide net, and would register on RWR of all aircraft in the area.

Tracking beams are extremely narrow, in the area if 2 degrees. if you are not the target of that beam, you would not receive an indication of track or launch. It would be possible as stated to catch a reflection or side lobe, but it would be rare and only intermittent.

I’ve reported the DCS bug here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=221983

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2