Wing Sweep Failure, No change in FM, only visual effect

Koriel

I just tested a flight with a wing sweep failure. I set it so that I could have max sweep before the failure kicked in, and apart from the obvious visual effect and the inability to use flaps or DLC the flight was as stable and coordinated as with full forward wings and no flaps and DLC. There was no roll tendency at all, no aileron or rudder trim was required.

/edit: Could be a ( I would guess it is) DCS issue, but after enabling the failure in a stand alone mission. I joined a multiplayer and the failure was still present. It took a DCS restart to clear all failures.

Edited by Koriel

There was no roll tendency at all, no aileron or rudder trim was required.

Why would you expect roll tendencies with wings swept aft? Or are you talking about asymmetric sweep failures?

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

Why would you expect roll tendencies with wings swept aft? Or are you talking about asymmetric sweep failures?

Yes, sorry, I failed the right wing in full aft, left functioned normally. Apart from not being able to use flaps and DLC. (just wanted to check flaps, wasn't going to use them ;-) ) the airplane flew straight, stable and no yaw/roll to counteract.

Here's the failure:

And here's the landing, watch my controls..

I would assume that with the larger frontal area on the left wing, a (slight?) left yaw could be expected, and with increased lift a right roll... Regardless, with such an assymetrical configuration some effect should be felt.

Edited by Koriel

Regardless, with such an assymetrical configuration some effect should be felt.

Indeed, up to the point where the aircraft becomes uncontrollable. This happens when the left wing is stuck beyond the spoiler cutout angle of 62° and the right wing is swept fully forward. In this case, differential tail authority is insufficient to counter the roll at approach speeds (approx. 180KIAS for a fully asymmetric condition). The opposite case (left wing forward/right wing back) can be landed, since the spoilers remain functional in this case and provide the necessary additional roll authority at low speeds. The spoilers remain active in this case since only the left wing's position is used for spoiler cutout.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD