Oculus users: here's how to fix lost audio in right headphone

Aries144

Essentially, if your problem is that you've lost audio on the right side, it's usually caused, at least initially, by a loss of ground to the right speaker caused by the fore and aft stretch of the right side of the headband wearing out the ribbon cable inside it. From reading around the net, it often seems to be the ground that goes first for some reason. It was in my case.

If the damage to the ribbon cable isn't too bad yet, you just need to smash one end of a length of wire in between the left headphone's bottom post and the bottom contact "hole" and run it around to smash the other end between the bottom post/hole on the right side to restore a ground for the right headphone. Instant fixed audio! It still has stereo audio, btw. This isn't just replicating the left speaker on the right side.

I recommend immobilizing the "stretch" adjustment on the right side to prevent the damage to the internal ribbon cable from worsening. I adjusted it to fit my head, then marked it and wrapped it with electrical tape to fix it in place. It's a little trickier getting the headset on and off with glasses, but it works.

I hope this helps!

Edited by Aries144

Great heads up there. :thumbup:

However it would have been nice to have made these ribbon cables easily field replaceable. Did they not think we'd actually use the HMD's? A lot. :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I recommend immobilizing the "stretch" adjustment on the right side to prevent the damage to the internal ribbon cable from worsening. I adjusted it to fit my head, then marked it and wrapped it with electrical tape to fix it in place.

Exactly what I did when I heard about the common problem.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Exactly what I did when I heard about the common problem.

+1, I also added superglue:lol:

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

+1, I also added superglue:lol:

Haha, awesomely overkill

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2