Emergency brake doesn't apply during rollout/taxi

DiscoVolante

E-brake only seems to hold brakes while stopped. Probably a low priority item but could be a life saver with a main hydraulic system failure and no arresting system nearby.

Also, being a brakes guy it would be really cool to have the tires blow under deep skids with antiskid off (or e-brake); should only take a couple hundred milliseconds on dry runway conditions. Found out that tire damage was already modeled after a bit of a heavy landing :doh:, so should be easy to apply to braking as well.

BTW I'm thoroughly impressed with the Hornet, thanks for the hard work ED.

Just by pulling the handle, no pedals. Seems to work like a parking brake currently by trapping pedal pressure.

Selecting the emergency brakes still requires use of the pedals, the difference being the pressure used to apply the brakes is drawn from a reserve hydraulic system.

Selecting the emergency brakes still requires use of the pedals, the difference being the pressure used to apply the brakes is drawn from a reserve hydraulic system.

I find that unlikely, the emergency system should be a separate hydraulic line that bypasses the antiskid valve in case of failure.

I find that unlikely, the emergency system should be a separate hydraulic line that bypasses the antiskid valve in case of failure.

I don’t have the exact schematics in front of me so I don’t remember if anti skid works with E-Brake, but what I do know is that the 2nd hydraulic system of the hornet maintains two 3000 Psi accumulators. One is for starting the APU and the other is for emergency brakes. When emergency is selected the mechanical energy used for braking is drawn from the accumulator not the 2nd hydraulic pump, and you still need to use the pedals to apply the brakes. It does not operate like the parking position which is only off or on.

Edited by RobertFriday
Poorly constructed sentence

Agree with the accumulator supplying the emergency system, but unless something tricky is going on in the brake manifold the emergency line and pedal metering line are connected at the brake with a shuttle valve. Antiskid does not work with the emergency brake.

Antiskid doesn't really work with normal brakes either in the DCS F/A-18. It doesn't decrease the landing roll and it leaves the same black tire marks on the runway.

The only difference is that directional control is better with antiskid. Definitely a bug, but unfortunately not for ED.

Haven't checked if there's anything in the -1, but usually emergency brakes don't have antiskid capability.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070