Tomcat Multicrew Requirements.

Tinkickef

I have one of those niggles that keeps itching and I can't scratch it.

Background.

So, a few weeks ago I built my new PC, but kept the old one as a backup, in full working order, all apart from the GPU. I intend it as a spare, should something major go wrong with my present rig (I'm on my third 2080TI in less than 12 months and it's getting to failure time again).

My Old rig was perfectly adequate for DCS using Rift (and probably for Reverb, however when I started buying my new components, I did not know that).

I also still have my Rift packed away in its box.

So I'm thinking of buying either a 2070 Super or one of the new 5900XTs to put back in my old PC to get it back into service so I can use Oculus games.

All just conjecture at this point.

The itch...

I should point out I'm a single player mission only type. I enjoy making my own missions and am not much interested in the multiplayer side of things. As I state often, I enjoy the flight, not the fight. I use combat only as a motivation to fly to some place on the map and to add a little excitement mid mission. All my missions are generally full fuel and external tanks.

I have a hankering to give rides in the rear seat of the Tomcat in real time, since the track replay is so broken that you cannot Taxy off the stand and turn a corner without running onto the grass.

Even the missus thought the idea would be a cool one, esp if we could communicate through the comms system. It would certainly be cool for her to see my head movements from the backseat when looking back at her. Who knows, I may have a prospective RIO...

So how would I set it all up?

I heard that you could buy a second module from HB at a much reduced price for just this scenario, but have never seen the option.

Naturally, I would probably have to buy the PG or NTTR maps again for the second PC.

I could connect the two PCs together using an Ethernet cable or via my home WiFi network, but would they talk to each other?

Would one of them have to be set up as the server and how do you do this?

As said, just conjecture at this point, I would have to save up for the new GPU, but a few pointers would be nice. I really do not have a clue how to set about this and have not seen any threads on it.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I'm sure I understand what you mean, especially about the tracks. Anyway, I try to asnwer some of your points:

In primis the price discount was for the bundle, I don't think you can buy an additional license later. Same for the NTTR/PG/Normandy/aircraft and so on, you need two licenses.

In secundis, to have the two DCS talk to each other, put them in the same network. If doens't matter if it's via a RJ45 to a switch, hub or router, a coaxial cable or wifi. Put them together and use ipconfig to get their IPs and Ping to verify that they can see each other.Then use the most powerful of the two as host and the other as client and set up a LAN server.

To create a DCS server: MP→New server→select mission→Start. That's it. I suggest you to build your own test missions initially, it takes literally 10" with the mission editor.

Finally, I don't like VR, I prefer my button boxes so I can't advise you about GPUs but remember that you can find used ones at a fairly cheap price (hopefully not chocked by crypto miners).

If you plan to save and stay with a standard monitor, for reference my PC is 7y old and still manages to play, host, stream whistl record tacview, use SRS, Discord, Teamspeak and so on. It's a i7 3770k at 4.3GHz, 16GB 2133GHz, 1070 with avg FPS between 50 and 60.

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

Thanks Karon.

It makes sense to fit another GPU in my old rig to get it up, running and fit for DCS. Last time my GPU let out the magic smoke I was without DCS for over two months and had forgotten much of what I had learned.

As for the rest. That will require more thought. It will not be worth it just for a couple of one off, ten minute rides for family and friends.

Although the idea is very attractive still....

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

To save up just wait for a sale, then get only the module and fly only in Caucasus - it's best for the show anyway :thumbup:

You can even go on public MP, seat as a pilot and join as RIO from another PC to the same aircraft, so you don't have to host a game.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria